• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Anyone know what this spider is?

Sbirtell1

Hello! Sorry I’m not sure if this is the correct place. But doesn’t anyone know what this is? Is this a grass spider? I don’t remember them looking this dark (it was closer to black) and its pedipalps looks so large? I’m in Northern Illinois in the suburbs. I love it, whatever it is, I didn’t mean to scare it. It wouldn’t sit still. Thanks! -Sarah
DD7641BA-C81F-4D3F-9A5B-89CA54854C6B.jpeg
80893453-D98E-42AF-A28B-7ABBA2ECB680.png

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I am no expert but it looks like a male Scotophaeus blackwalli to me? We have them in the UK, but here is one apparently found in America so maybe they live in lots of places. They are lovely :) I think the large pedipalps mean it is a male with the palpal bulbs on the end? Most of the wild spiders I see have these 'boxing gloves' as they are males wandering to find a female I think.
1682108799827.png

Sbirtell1

I am no expert but it looks like a male Scotophaeus blackwalli to me? We have them in the UK, but here is one apparently found in America so maybe they live in lots of places. They are lovely :) I think the large pedipalps mean it is a male with the palpal bulbs on the end? Most of the wild spiders I see have these 'boxing gloves' as they are males wandering to find a female I think.
View attachment 70567
Thank you very much!!! He was very cool!!!

Jeef

My wild guess is Amaurobius ferox. This is about the time of year the males go on walkabout looking for the girls. While I'm no expert by any measure, those pedipalps tell me that is a male.