• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any idea's

philippa black

3 Year Member
My Red Knee Boris has refused food for last week and looked like he was starting to web up ready to shed. But then 2 days ago he came out of his hide so popped a hopper in which he caught straight away. little while later I went to say night and he was back in his hide. then this morning he is half way up the wall of his little viv, it's one with a lid with little slits all round for ventilation. I was worried that he might hurt his legs as they are small enough to go in slits. so I gently persuaded him down to the floor of the viv and he is still sitting there. It is very unusual for him to spend so much time outside his home plus he had also collected up a load of his Zoo-Med Eco Earth Substrate. any idea what he is up to should I be worried??

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
sounds like he's having fun and exploring/redecorating his home. They start to show themselves more as they get larger, watch and enjoy ;)

philippa black

3 Year Member
sounds like he's having fun and exploring/redecorating his home. They start to show themselves more as they get larger, watch and enjoy ;)
Thanks :) I think I just worry more about him because he's the first spider I've had and he is very small for his age. not well looked after at previous home he's a lovely boy I also noticed he has a small bare patch on his rear. Is this something to worry about at all Thanks

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks :) I think I just worry more about him because he's the first spider I've had and he is very small for his age. not well looked after at previous home he's a lovely boy I also noticed he has a small bare patch on his rear. Is this something to worry about at all Thanks
the bare patch is from flicking hairs most likely. They'll come back when he molts.

philippa black

3 Year Member
the bare patch is from flicking hairs most likely. They'll come back when he molts.
that's what I thought but he's had no reason to flick them as apart from feeding at watering and chatting to him I don't do anything with him. He's back in his hide now and just sitting not moving so maybe is getting ready to shed. Thanks

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
that's what I thought but he's had no reason to flick them as apart from feeding at watering and chatting to him I don't do anything with him. He's back in his hide now and just sitting not moving so maybe is getting ready to shed. Thanks
Sometimes they will just flick hairs around their enclosure, sort of marking their territory. My female b.smithi lays down a web permemter around the spot where she will molt and kicks hairs on the web.

philippa black

3 Year Member
Sometimes they will just flick hairs around their enclosure, sort of marking their territory. My female b.smithi lays down a web permemter around the spot where she will molt and kicks hairs on the web.
OIC thanks he's not eaten for a while now so I'm thinking he going to shed as last time he didn't eat for 2 weeks can't wait for him to grow a bit more :)

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
After our smithi sling molted twice it also decided it was bored of burrowing. even after giving it an extra 2 inches of substrate still know burrows and has molted twice in plain view :).

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
After our smithi sling molted twice it also decided it was bored of burrowing. even after giving it an extra 2 inches of substrate still know burrows and has molted twice in plain view :).
nice! I've noticed my Brachy's tend to quit burrowing and stay out where you can see them more after they get to about 1.5" dls. Mine go back into hiding to molt though.

Latest posts