• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Any funny story with your T?!

Agno

3 Year Member
When my A. Versi hunts (she's around L7), she always looks funny to me! Last thing she did... I put a moth inside her container. She was out of her web house atm. She went chasing after the moth which entered her web while Versi was on the outside. Since she could sense the moth on the other side of the web but could not reach her, she ended up destroying her web on one side in the attempt of catching the moth (which she did). Now her web looks like some torn rag. :T:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not sure what you mean by L7. My versicolor won't eat unless the prey turns into room service and wanders into her tunnel. I've had roaches sit on the other side of the web from her and be totally ignored, but once they're in that tunnel you gotta watch close cause she strikes fast.

My A. sp Peru Purple on the other hand is a hunter, she'll chase that roach all over the enclosure until she catches it. I had the lid off her enclosure recently using a small make up brush to "herd" the roach from behind the water dish so Inca would start hunting it. Faster than i could react the roach ran up the stem of the fake leaves and Inca came right up after it. Except the roach took a detour and hid under the last leaf and Inca kept running right up my hand and stopped about halfway to my elbow. She then turned in a circle like she was looking for the roach. I called my son in to help in case she bolted but she went easily back into the enclosure. I put the lid back on which spooked the roach enough she sensed it again, but this time the roach wasn't fast enough ;)

Last edited:

Agno

3 Year Member
By L7 I mean she has molted 7 times in total (I'm not sure if this is the right terminology to use, I'm used to my stick insects cos their growth is measured by that). Nice story of yours! Unlike your Versi, mine is more similar to Inca!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ah we call that instar, like first instar for first molt, third instar for third or 3i.

syzygy

3 Year Member
I have a new P.muticus 3/4" sling that's in a small round enclosure. It has 2 separate tunnels that go down and then around the bottom circumference. They stop short of being connected by only about 1/4" of substrate. A cricket was in 1 tunnel up against that partition between the tunnels and the T felt the vibration and ran into the other tunnel all the way to the other side of the same partition with obviously no luck. It went out of the tunnel to the main level and was about to enter the other tunnel when it felt the vibration again and ran back to the same spot. Did that like 3 more times before choosing the correct tunnel entrance...cracked me up.

timc

3 Year Member
I was being a total slug with rehousing a couple months ago and my girlfriend decided to take the initiative and move the spiders. "I just don't want them to touch me" she says. "Ok." I assure her, knowing full well it's not up to us. The First two went without incident but the last one...not so much. It was my pumpkin patch, maybe an in DLS at the time. As soon as the lid was off she was out and up my girlfriend's arm. "It tickles! It tickles!" She screamed, and she hates being tickled. Meanwhile I'm trying to stop laughing so as to calm her down. The spider got into her new home but my girlfriend has sworn off rehousing.

Also every time I open the door to my room my LP scurries across his enclosure like a snuck up on him. Cracks me up every time.

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my larger B. albo, Missingno, used to chase crickets around his tunnel until he was rehoused. My son and I had many feeding time laughs from this. He had a burrow that was horseshoe shaped, with 2 openings in the substrate near each other and it was up against the side of the amac box so you could see him the whole time.

The lateralis roach and he would do laps through that tunnel, until one got turned around and the roach became food, or the roach fooled him. Sometimes the roach would run up the tunnel then across the substrate and not go down in the other side, but to a corner or the water dish. Missingno would make the loop and stop near the bottom. I think he then realized he had been duped, then he'd come up one side or the other and wander around the enclosure until he spooked the roach. Then he'd eat or they'd wind up in the horseshoe loop again.

This is another reason lateralis are my favorite feeders :)

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
I have stated this funny story more than once on our sling burst out of the ground(Substrate) without using an entrance to snag its prey. That's our funny and cool story.

Prudance

3 Year Member
I have an LP who is very possessive of her water dish. Which is a problem for the daily game of "where is it this time". In which we find where she buried it, dig it up, and then replace with clean one. She'd be fine as we poked around with 10" tongs. She was also fine with us scraping the substrate off. Lifting it in the air was another story. She'd spring forth grab the water dish and then sit on top of it. Eventually she had 4 water dishes in he enclosure.

That's when we gave her a ping pong ball to distract her. It's her toy now. She moves it, spins it in place around and buries it all over her home now. We also don't fight over the water dish anymore.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
When my A. Versi hunts (she's around L7), she always looks funny to me! Last thing she did... I put a moth inside her container. She was out of her web house atm. She went chasing after the moth which entered her web while Versi was on the outside. Since she could sense the moth on the other side of the web but could not reach her, she ended up destroying her web on one side in the attempt of catching the moth (which she did). Now her web looks like some torn rag. :T:
My T stirmi, "Creeper", when real hungry tackles her pray in a way where she almost forgets she has legs. Once she's done "pouncing", her legs are a jumbled mess and almost like a "death curl" mixed with wet spaghetti. So cute and funny. I call it her "derpy dance".

Agno

3 Year Member
My T stirmi, "Creeper", when real hungry tackles her pray in a way where she almost forgets she has legs. Once she's done "pouncing", her legs are a jumbled mess and almost like a "death curl" mixed with wet spaghetti. So cute and funny. I call it her "derpy dance".
That's funny! Mine does that too sometimes that's why I ended up asking here at the forum if there's a chance they might accidentally bite themselves (which can't happen considering all the responses I got)!

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
That's funny! Mine does that too sometimes that's why I ended up asking here at the forum if there's a chance they might accidentally bite themselves (which can't happen considering all the responses I got)!
I Kno. It's like a tornado of fangs and legs. I don't Kno how they don't injure themselves.

Will

3 Year Member
I have a constant battle with my N chromatus (Skreech), who almost daily detaches the plastic leaves from the side of the enclosure. I'll catch it on its back legs wrestling the leaves to the other side of the tank. Mustn't like the way they look!

I should probably stop putting them back, after all it's the T's home not mine!

Agno

3 Year Member
My Versi went in a fight with a moth today and since their wings are fragile, Versi ended up being covered in golden wing dust looking just as if Tinkerbell had thrown glitter on her! :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Versi went in a fight with a moth today and since their wings are fragile, Versi ended up being covered in golden wing dust looking just as if Tinkerbell had thrown glitter on her! :p
That would have been a great pic to see :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We've just been watching my son's 6.5" P. vittata that's deep in premoult trying to climb. It was like watching someone trying to walk on sheet ice, she was even sliding on the background that is natural materials and very bumpy and rough. She's been at it for a good hour but has finally admitted defeat and gone back to her moult mat on the ground.

timc

3 Year Member
We've just been watching my son's 6.5" P. vittata that's deep in premoult trying to climb. It was like watching someone trying to walk on sheet ice, she was even sliding on the background that is natural materials and very bumpy and rough. She's been at it for a good hour but has finally admitted defeat and gone back to her moult mat on the ground.
I love when they do that...before my rufilata's last molt he was keeping one foot on the side of his enclosure like he was thinking "I'm going to get back up there.......one day"

Agno

3 Year Member
I think I found a game to play with my Versi... There is a line of holes around five fingers beneath her web house. The holes are small, approx. 3mm in diameter, I've poked them for ventilation. When Versi stands half outside her house in praying position, I softly blow air in one of the holes...SHE ATTACKS :D than i blow into another hole and she can find exactly which hole it is (even if it's behind her back away from her). She looks very funny! Anyway, I don't do this often, I don't wanna annoy her.

Latest posts