• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ant problem Need help!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yesterday I did a complete rehouse of everyone but the G.rosea, (just molted) this was done because I found ants in three enclosures. I live in alabama and its been raining for days and days . Ants here are always an issue.
More of one now because I'm afraid of them hurting my slings or T's. So, everyone was clean and fresh, did NOT feed, figured give them a day to relax again. Came in today and they were swarmed in the enclosures. So, complete clean again. Right now I took each enclosure, emptied cleaned and redid each one, then I taped pantyhose bits over the vents to allow air but not ants, my larger spiders are sitting in a tub with an inch of water in it to deter these nasty little buggers. What else can I do? vaseline does NOT work, they simply bridge over it.

Obviously I'm not going to allow any toxins in or around my T's. Anyone have any suggestions?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow...never had this issue Kymura, but the panty hose are a great idea. Maybe hit the borders of your house, on the outside of course, with that indoor outdoor bug spray? Create a little barrier? Hit all the outside surfaces at the bottom, maybe the window sills?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We do that on a fairly regular basis, as well as the home remedies,
they are just awful in my area, friend just told me to get sulphur tablets (the granules for lawn care)
and put it at foundation level all the way round, guess I'll try that next.
Damn house is only two years old, (rebuilt due to flood) only bugs we fight are these stupid ants.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We do that on a fairly regular basis, as well as the home remedies,
they are just awful in my area, friend just told me to get sulphur tablets (the granules for lawn care)
and put it at foundation level all the way round, guess I'll try that next.
Damn house is only two years old, (rebuilt due to flood) only bugs we fight are these stupid ants.
I remember getting tiny little ants a long time ago in my kitchen...it took a very long time, constant vigilance and lots of bug spray to get rid of them, they got into everything. I don't envy you the task..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We fight them from time to time, its always a long drawn out process,
the reason its an issue now because I worry about my little slings.

Noobmatus

3 Year Member
I seen in the t keepers guide were someone built a small platform to put there T cages on he/she then put bottle caps under the legs of the platform and filled those caps with oil to create some what of a moat that the ants couldn't cross

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks you two, have the dang guide right here and NOW that you said it I remember seeing something about that!
need to get someone to help me make a platform.
:confused: :T::cool:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Problem with water in bottle caps is they dry up almost always so soon. My take on this is to use petroleum jelly around at the bottom of each enclosure. About a finger width and you don't ever have to redo. Even though I don't have an ant problem, all my enclosures are prepped this way. Just my two cents. :T:

Latest posts