• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Another successful trip to the show...

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Had a very good time at the local reptile show this morning. Not only did I get to replace my b.smithi that passed away last year with a well started sling/juvi, I also finally got to cross the obt off my wish list today as well :D
_20180506_123740.JPG
KIMG1446.jpg
KIMG1445.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh lovely~! Always feel like the obt gets a bit of a bad rap, beautiful T's

You see a lot of enclosures and individuals that do act up and misbehave. I've always wondered how exactly you layout the enclosure such that they refrain from behavioral difficulties.

Maybe a bigger then normal cage with 3 or 4 hiding places instead of just one? Probably a small feeding and water port would be less provocative I'm assuming.

The thing is that getting an OBT or H mac or even a Singapore blue confirmed female has crossed my mind but the layouts and enclosures I've seen on YouTube and other places just don't curb panic or aggressive behavior to the degree that they should.

In my opinion, if you have to get out of the T's comfort zone by getting to close just for normal day to day tasks, your enclosure or tactics need to be revamped. They aren't alien face huggers and we're not prey items so there's really no reason to attack without provocation.

Even humans have comfort zones. Get to close to some ex con or gangster & they'll attack because your looking at them the wrong way.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You see a lot of enclosures and individuals that do act up and misbehave. I've always wondered how exactly you layout the enclosure such that they refrain from behavioral difficulties.

Maybe a bigger then normal cage with 3 or 4 hiding places instead of just one? Probably a small feeding and water port would be less provocative I'm assuming.

The thing is that getting an OBT or H mac or even a Singapore blue confirmed female has crossed my mind but the layouts and enclosures I've seen on YouTube and other places just don't curb panic or aggressive behavior to the degree that they should.

In my opinion, if you have to get out of the T's comfort zone by getting to close just for normal day to day tasks, your enclosure or tactics need to be revamped. They aren't alien face huggers and we're not prey items so there's really no reason to attack without provocation.

Even humans have comfort zones. Get to close to some ex con or gangster & they'll attack because your looking at them the wrong way.

This was my OBTs home (a 12"x12"x18" ExoTerra) from a juvenile until her death. She completely ignored the hide I gave her when she moved in so I took it out. Her home was almost completely designed by herself. She began with a web hide at the top right corner, then extended her tunnel downwards to ground level, round the back of the wood to where the yellow circle is. Inside the circle she had constructed a doorway complete with curtain of substrate and web where she would throw out her garbage every so often although she often used bits of her old exos to decorate her home. I found her very shy, preferring to hide than attack so as long as I kept my eyes on the doorway, maintenance was easy. There was no doubt she liked the arboreal set up so my new little one will move into a similar container when it's big enough.
DSCF6613 (2).JPG

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cool!!

So even a 1 or 2 inch sling can dominate that cage?

Did you have to use tongs to get it into her web or just toss it in and be happy?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Cool!!

So even a 1 or 2 inch sling can dominate that cage?

Did you have to use tongs to get it into her web or just toss it in and be happy?

She was around 2" when she moved in there and she made it completely her own.

Your 2nd question doesn't make sense unless you mean using tongs for feeding. I don't tong feed any of my Ts, I decant crickets into a vial and just tip in the required number and let the T go hunting.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sometimes for a small T in a big cage you have to implant the feeder into the web so that it can be found within a reasonable amount of time.

I went through that with my Versicolor who was just a half inch sling when I got him. Eventually I found that disabled chilled crickets placed into the web allowed the spider to eat even though the cricket was larger then the T. As the cricket warmed up and became mobile slowly, the T would attack and feed before the cricket was active enough to fight back. I had to remove both rear legs and all legs on one side for what seemed like forever. The growth was quite fast which put him into a much stronger position in life.

Only small fruit flies were the right size.

2 inches is a lot easier to deal with but you can still see most of the growth yourself. I love doing slings but the real little ones can have real big problems.

Last edited:

Latest posts