• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Am I stupid?

Eightleggedchris

3 Year Member
Hi all im new to the forum and to keeping tarantulas (ive had my Chilean rose for about 7 months) i wanted some tarantulas that are strictly for decoration (i dont handle my tarantulas) so i bought a juvenile pink toe, a Mexican red knee sling and orange starburst baboon sling. I've done lots of research on all of them and the OBT seems dangerous. Does anyone have experience with these tarantulas (more importantly raising from sling) i would like to know growth rate, when the aggression begins, conditions to keep them in ect.

Also same questions apply to the Mexican red knee sling
thanks in advance guys

Chris

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I got my Red Knee as a 3-incher, she is now about 4 inches. But I can tell you that these are generally very docile tarantulas and rarely show aggression. Some may be defensive (e.g., hair flicking), and mine has been having mood swings :p, but Red Knees are not dangerous. OBTs can be dangerous if you mess with them (aggression, potent venom, etc.). I've never kept one, though, so I don't have any personal experience I can relate.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I only had 1 obt that was fully grown when I got it. I hardly ever saw it but it was really bad tempered.
Ive got 6 fairly young red knees and I really love them. They like dry conditions with a water bowl when they are big enough. Mine are far too lazy to be aggressive but other people might disagree.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have yet to see anything close to aggression on my Brachypelmas. They are mental hair kickers though.

I do have 4 OBT slings currently, but have had them less than a week. Check back with me in a few months, provided they haven't got me webbed up held for ransom somewhere....

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
OBTs grow FAST and make incredible webbing. Always keep in mind that they are fast and you do not want to get bitten. Treat them with respect and you will be fine :)