• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice on Avic Purpurea

Charlotte

3 Year Member
I've just ordered my Avic Versi juvenile and Avic Purpurea sub adult/adult

Does anyone have any tips on looking after the Avic Purpurea I have read quite a lot about Versi colours but I've read conflicting things about the Avic Purpurea in terms of humidity etc.

Would appreciate any helpful information.

Last edited:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've just ordered my Avic Versi and Avic Purpurea juveniles.

Does anyone have any tips on looking after the Avic Purpurea I have read quite a lot about Versi colours but I've read conflicting things about the Avic Purpurea in terms of humidity etc.

Would appreciate any helpful information.
Humidity isn't that important. Cross-ventilation (lots of holes in the sides of the container, not the lid) is what matters most with Avics. I actually keep Avics on dry substrate. I don't mist, I simply provide a water dish. Too much moisture creates stagnant air, thus making a moist stuffy cage. This usually results in a dead tarantula.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
Well I definitely don't want a dead tarantula!

Thank you I will have a look on that site.

I have ordered an exo terra terrarium 30x30x45 it has good ventilation, will this be sufficient?

Thanks again.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well I definitely don't want a dead tarantula!

Thank you I will have a look on that site.

I have ordered an exo terra terrarium 30x30x45 it has good ventilation, will this be sufficient?

Thanks again.
Uh 30×30×45 for a sling?! That would work for an adult tarantula maybe, but definitely not a sling or juvenile. All you need is a tall plastic container of some kind with holes drilled in the sides.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's one of my sling enclosures for my Avicularia diversipes:
uploadfromtaptalk1440152177051.jpg

And my juvenile Avicularia sp. "amazonica"
uploadfromtaptalk1440152226001.jpg

Charlotte

3 Year Member
Uh 30×30×45 for a sling?! That would work for an adult tarantula maybe, but definitely not a sling or juvenile. All you need is a tall plastic container of some kind with holes drilled in the sides.

Sorry I realised I forgot to mention the Purpurea is sub adult and the versi is a juvie, I am aware slings only need a small home

Thank you for the pics that helps for the Versi.

I can't believe I've gone from 0 to 3 in just over a week!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry I realised I forgot to mention the Purpurea is sub adult and the versi is a juvie, I am aware slings only need a small home

Thank you for the pics that helps for the Versi.

I can't believe I've gone from 0 to 3 in just over a week!
No problem, you had me confused there for a minute lol.

Latest posts