• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice from experienced owners

Sara Brown

3 Year Member
Hi. Wanting to get some advice on my enclosure for my pink toe. I winged it and now would like to know if I should change anything to make it better.

Attachments

• IMG_20150821_160106.jpg
    IMG_20150821_160106.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 35

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You're keeping an arboreal species in a terrestrial style enclosure. They need a tall enclosure. Height is more important than floor space so they have room to climb.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here is a picture of one of my pink toe enclosures
uploadfromtaptalk1440196447314.jpg

And here is a link to a good terrarium for an adult Avicularia
https://jamiestarantulas.com/adult-tarantula-cage/

Also they need a piece of bark (cork bark works best) leaned against one side of the enclosure to attach their web to. Screen top lids are a bad idea because they have poor ventilation. Not only does that enclosure have the wrong design for an arboreal, it also has no holes in the sides, thus no cross-ventilation.

Last edited:

Sara Brown

3 Year Member
Thanks guys. Looks like I'm changing it up on payday. I did it this way originally because that's the kind she was in when I got her. I'll post new pictures in a week or so when I change her cage and you can tell me what you think.

So I'm shopping for another tarantula. Is there a breed that would do good in a cage like this? That's fairly good for a new owner?

Sara Brown

3 Year Member
u can have any terrestrial spices in this type of enclosure !!! ;)
i would recommend ether Brachypelma or Aphonopelma genus, there mostly docile & are stunning :D:D:D

Thanks! Any suggestions on where to buy? I have to buy online because I live in the middle of no where. Closest pet store is over an hour away. They only have a bird eating and a rosehair

Last edited:

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Have you used the "For Sale" section on the forum?
Browse: Tarantula Forum Marketplace: For Sale also check the Tarantula Vendor Reviews section.
If you can't find what you want in there do a Google search: Tarantula breeders.
I've dealt with a few online breeders and had excellent service and healthy animals sent to me. When I do order online I'll purchase no less than 6 at a time. Makes the overnight with LAG cost less painful, running from $40-$55, depending on the sellers cost.

Latest posts