• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

absolute noob question on feeding.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Problem, my slings are absolute pigs, always hungry and always willing to jump on whats given to them, they have been on the pinhead roaches, unfortunately they (the roaches and the slings) were very cold when they delivered and I lost a good amount of them (roaches) in the shipping so consequently I am nearly out of the pinhead roaches.
I've been on the phone all morning and cannot seem to find anything small for them, what is available in my area are: regular size crickets, wax worms, superworms and regular size meal worms.
Can I give them a half or a piece of a mealworm while I order some more for them?

Last edited:

timc

3 Year Member
You sure can. Tarantulas are opportunistic scavengers and will happily accept pre killed prey. You might not get the great attacks from the little guys but at least they'll be fed. I have a teeny tiny pumpkin patch that's about an 8th the size of the rest of my spiders and I often just remove a leg from one of the crickets one of the big guys is getting and I haven't had a complaint yet:)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Of course you can:) I remember the first time I cut a Roach I was like ewww lol
Thanks so much, it's far better hearing it from here and knowing that its alright, I trust you all so I feel better about it now ^^
I'm totally in love with these little guys so wanted to be sure , (but I think I'll make my son cut them up ) lol :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can either do that or offer prekilled. Slings are eating machines. IMO it's not really possible to overfeed one. They'll stop eating eventually anyway.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can either do that or offer prekilled. Slings are eating machines. IMO it's not really possible to overfeed one. They'll stop eating eventually anyway.
How much can I feed them? I feel honestly like I'm leaving them hungry, even the G.Rosea jumps on its food, everything says twice a week but they sure act like they've been starved, their abdomens are nicely plump though.

timc

3 Year Member
How much can I feed them? I feel honestly like I'm leaving them hungry, even the G.Rosea jumps on its food, everything says twice a week but they sure act like they've been starved, their abdomens are nicely plump though.
When I was a teenager every meal I attacked like I'd be starved for a month! I believe the same principle applies here. When you're young and growing...you're hungry. All the time.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Like I said it's pretty much impossible to overfeed a sling. I feed mine every 3 to 5 days when they're really small. Some people only feed theirs once or twice a week.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I pretty much exclusively feed slings pre-killed prey items, either cut up pieces or with crushed heads.

And like Chubbs said, it's pretty hard to overfeed them. They'll never eat themselves to death. I used to feed slings every 2 to 3 days just to get them out of that more vulnerable stage.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, half a smaller meal worm into each enclosure, B.Albo grabbed it immediately,
(no surprise there, its always hungry)
the G.Rosea dragged it into its little burrow, dropped it and threatened it...
(going to be an issue getting it out of there tomorrow if it doesn't eat it.)
Have to say I really enjoyed seeing that tiny baby rear up at it though lol

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, half a smaller meal worm into each enclosure, B.Albo grabbed it immediately,
(no surprise there, its always hungry)
the G.Rosea dragged it into its little burrow, dropped it and threatened it...
(going to be an issue getting it out of there tomorrow if it doesn't eat it.)
Have to say I really enjoyed seeing that tiny baby rear up at it though lol
Lol, that's always cool. I like seeing a 1/4 or 1/2 inch sling sitting on half a superworm...reminds me of a lion cub feeding on a dead elephant.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think, that they are going to pop, 0.0~!
how on earth did they eat that much!
I've had tiny ones sit on a superworm for 2 days, when they get done they look like that :) While I don't mind tiny slings, I powerfeed them as much as possible to get them out of the tiny, delicate stage. Once they hit an inch and a half I'll ease up though. I love it when they're still small but start getting fuzzy and some of their adult coloration. My little genic comes to mind. She's still an inch and a half but has all her colors, and loves kicking hair when I open her enclosure. She got me in the face a few days ago. I made the mistake of inhaling while I opened her top on my desk, and she kicked hair perfectly at my face :mad: I could feel it in my nose and throat for a few minutes, but it went away pretty quick. It stung a little bit. I don't seem to react to hairs like some people, so I'm lucky I guess. If it gets on my skin it just feels like fiberglass for an hour or so, no biggy. I imagine getting them in your eyes is horrible for anyone, though.
genic 001.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love the little spots of color on her legs,
Eventually I'm going to have a few with nice patterns and colors,
I seem to be drawn to the simpler types for some reason though.
Aphonopelma hentzi, or Aviculara avicularia, (avic is on my wishlist for one day)
On the other hand, There are several that just knock me down with how lovely they are, all in good time tho, :)

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love the little spots of color on her legs,
Eventually I'm going to have a few with nice patterns and colors,
I seem to be drawn to the simpler types for some reason though.
Aphonopelma hentzi, or Aviculara avicularia, (avic is on my wishlist for one day)
On the other hand, There are several that just knock me down with how lovely they are, all in good time tho, :)
This little one is in need of a molt..you should see her about 4 days after, she looks gorgeous, with all of her colors brilliant and clean. She loses them quickly though because she seems to be speeding up in her molt cycle for some reason..she's been growing very slowly until recently, no idea why..I'll post a pic of her after she molts, she's a beauty.

Latest posts