• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A very sad day

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My beautiful little Phidippus regius, Tallahassee has died overnight. I guess 3 sacs of eggs was just too much for her. I know she wasn't a T but she will be very much missed.

I have kept 2 of her 1st sac babies and her 3rd sack have moulted and should emerge from the cocoon very soon so I'm hoping I can keep 1 or 2 of them as well.

DSCF9623 (3).JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Nicolas C Thank you. I have no idea how old she was. I only bought her in early December and she produced her first sac on Christmas Day.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Very sorry enn. This one always caught my eye in the gallery, very cool little spider. Good to know you have a few babies left from her.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
that really sucks! sorry @Enn49 I know how you feel, i've lost T's that didn't upset me as much as losing my WC P. audax.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Oh nooo :( I'm so so sorry Enn. Hope you're ok

Thank you, I've shed a few tears over her I must admit.

Very sorry enn. This one always caught my eye in the gallery, very cool little spider. Good to know you have a few babies left from her.

Thank you. I just hope I can keep some of this 3rd sac alive after losing all the 2nd sac.

She was an amazing little spider! 3 sacs!!! As I said before "RIP little Tallahassee" :( x

A real gem, such a perfect mum. It's such a shame that she couldn't have survive to have a happy retirement.

that really sucks! sorry @Enn49 I know how you feel, i've lost T's that didn't upset me as much as losing my WC P. audax.

Thank you. It's those cheeky little faces that grab you although I feel I didn't see enough of her as she was always hiding in her cocoon guarding her babies.

LadyFang618

3 Year Member
I'm so sorry for ur loss @Enn49, it never gets easier to lose a pet or a friend , which I'm sure she was both. /

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is Tallahassee's 3rd sac, probably about 2 weeks to go before they emerge. I really hope I can keep this bunch alive after all her hard work and I hope they don't miss her being around too much.
DSCF0458.JPG

LadyFang618

3 Year Member
This is Tallahassee's 3rd sac, probably about 2 weeks to go before they emerge. I really hope I can keep this bunch alive after all her hard work and I hope they don't miss her being around too much.
View attachment 24109
Just keep them internally hydrated and humid enough. Are they eating anything yet? If I'm not mistaken they should be eating things like flightless fruit fly and springtails by now, yes?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just keep them internally hydrated and humid enough. Are they eating anything yet? If I'm not mistaken they should be eating things like flightless fruit fly and springtails by now, yes?

I'm making sure they have water sprayed around the cocoon every day or 2 but they don't eat until they come out of the cocoon although they are leaving the sac now. Mum would sit over the sac inside the cocoon at night but come out for a wander and a feed now and again. The first sac I separated once they emerged from the cocoon and began feeding them pinhead crickets. the 2nd sac I tried keeping in groups but lost them all, not to cannibalism they just died so this time I'll treat the same as the 1st sac.

LadyFang618

3 Year Member
I'm making sure they have water sprayed around the cocoon every day or 2 but they don't eat until they come out of the cocoon although they are leaving the sac now. Mum would sit over the sac inside the cocoon at night but come out for a wander and a feed now and again. The first sac I separated once they emerged from the cocoon and began feeding them pinhead crickets. the 2nd sac I tried keeping in groups but lost them all, not to cannibalism they just died so this time I'll treat the same as the 1st sac.
I agree with ur decision to separate them again this time. There's a few youtuber that breed or have bred jumping spiders and they have really good info in their videos. I would watch a few and see, if anything at all, what they may be doing differently or if they've ever had a sac where the mother died. U may find very helpful info.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I agree with ur decision to separate them again this time. There's a few youtuber that breed or have bred jumping spiders and they have really good info in their videos. I would watch a few and see, if anything at all, what they may be doing differently or if they've ever had a sac where the mother died. U may find very helpful info.

Thanks for the suggestion, that's a job for the weekend. Luckily they're at the stage where when I spray water round them they almost all run to the edges of the cocoon to get a drink so I'm hoping they won't miss her attention too much..

LadyFang618

3 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestion, that's a job for the weekend. Luckily they're at the stage where when I spray water round them they almost all run to the edges of the cocoon to get a drink so I'm hoping they won't miss her attention too much..
Hopefully. If I see one while I'm watching some new uploads I'll make sure to save the youtuber name and the name of the video and message them to u later. K Ennie?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hopefully. If I see one while I'm watching some new uploads I'll make sure to save the youtuber name and the name of the video and message them to u later. K Ennie?

Thank you, that would be great.

Latest posts