• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Seemanni molting worry- possibly urgent

Hagraven

Last night I was excited to find my A. Seemanni, "Ammut," on her back, and half expected to wake this morning to find her in her new clothes.
She was on her back for about 7 hours (through the night) when I looked in this morning to finally see her beginning her transformation.
I went off to work and am home now this afternoon, finding this:

20230531_160415.jpg

Though all appears to be going well I realized that I have almost no way of confirming that she is healthy, and not stuck, given her position in her burrow.

I understand that it is very important to leave her alone, and that if she was stuck I likely wouldn't have success in helping her out of her molt after all this time.

To experienced keepers- is a 14-15 hour molt unheard of?

Should I relax and let her do her thing?

Again, I know if I intervened I may cause a good thing to go bad, and that if I attempted to help her (assuming she was actually stuck) my chances would not be great.

I would definitely consider my A. Seemanni an adult (about 4-5 inches), but when I acquired them this January the seller had almost no details about them. I always provide her with a water dish and moisten part of the sub periodically.

I regularly doubt myself and just want to be sure I'm doing right by her. Thanks guys!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All I can suggest is to arm yourself with a pair of tweezers and a moist, soft brush or cotton bud. Use the tweezers to gently try pulling the old moult away. If you find it is still attached then you may need to wait until she rights herself and use the moist brush to try to ease the old exo off.
I hope she's ok.

Hagraven

All I can suggest is to arm yourself with a pair of tweezers and a moist, soft brush or cotton bud. Use the tweezers to gently try pulling the old moult away. If you find it is still attached then you may need to wait until she rights herself and use the moist brush to try to ease the old exo off.
I hope she's ok.
Thank you so much