• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A quick question about my Avicularia Avicularia spiderling

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Sorry to answer this late, but as far as european time zone goes...! Anyway, I second everything Kymura has said. As far as I can see, you little one is dead (as you already know).

Doesn't mean it's your fault: little Avicularia are rather fragile and seem to be very sensitive to travelling. Sometimes it's enough to cause unsuspected death.

I wish you well for your new Brachy. Keep us informed!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sad to hear of another petco induced death. I've not yet seen their death trap, oh i mean "tarantula hut", until now. All I can say is wow....

Kudos to you @SpootyBooty you did your best. Too bad it didn't survive, but you researched and tried! :)

You'll enjoy the new Brachy, they're eating machines and enjoy burrowing and redecorating.

SpootyBooty

3 Year Member
@Nicolas C I was sad that it died, it was my boyfriends and I's little baby lol. I'll probably try again with Avicularia's down the line, and it'll either be a juvi or an adult.

@kormath it's actually digging a little bit of a hole right now! It's been sprawling out and digging here and there, and running around. I'll probably get a small cricket when I go into work tomorrow, see if it's feeling comfortable enough to eat.

Chingz

3 Year Member
It was so sad to hear the news about the Avic sling. Right now I have a sling also, just a few week with it, and if it died on me I will be sad also.
But I like your spirit!!!!! Don't give up.
:) :)

SpootyBooty

3 Year Member
Awh.
And thank you <3 I think my Brachy is in premolt. For the past two days it's refused to eat and it's gotten a bit darker than its usual light brown. Yesterday I got it a cricket and I was worried it didn't want to eat it cause it was a little on the big side, so I got the perfect sized crickets today, one literally crawled under it and it refused to eat. I also noticed a dark spot on its rump, so I'm assuming it's going to molt soon!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i'd say so. once it's almost black and looks like it has been oiled it's a short wait :)

SpootyBooty

3 Year Member
It's been awhile since my last update, my Brachy is doing well, hasn't molted yet but it refuses to eat. It runs the other direction from its food whenever I present it; my logical side is telling me it's okay tarantulas do this, it'll eat when it's ready.
But another part of me is nagging that it might not be okay, a little baby like him/her should want to eat and yadda yadda. So my question is, should I listen to my logical side or be worried?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
logical side is right. If it's running from food it's a sign of premolt with Brachy's, they don't usually fast like the rosea for no apparent reason. Also could be the food is too large for it. Has it eaten that size before? or do you have smaller prey for it? Rule of thumb i read and have used successfully is don't feed it feeders larger than it's abdomen. I only have 2 brachy's that will eat prey larger than that, the emilia and albiceps, the albiceps has lived up to his name Thug, he's just a brute :D The emilia is like a trap door spider and pounces on whatever comes near.

SpootyBooty

3 Year Member
I'm actually giving it prey a little bit smaller than its abdomen, just little pinhead crickets. I work at a petstore and I try to snag up one or two to take home to it now and then. I got a second opinion before I came and read your response, and he basically said the same thing, it's just probably wanting to molt. I have a moist side and a dry side for it, and I have caught it sitting on the moist side when I'd come home from work. The guy I called suggest making all of the substrate moist to try and help him out. I even tried to get it to crawl up on my finger, but it got nervous and covered its face and it was just so cute.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm actually giving it prey a little bit smaller than its abdomen, just little pinhead crickets. I work at a petstore and I try to snag up one or two to take home to it now and then. I got a second opinion before I came and read your response, and he basically said the same thing, it's just probably wanting to molt. I have a moist side and a dry side for it, and I have caught it sitting on the moist side when I'd come home from work. The guy I called suggest making all of the substrate moist to try and help him out. I even tried to get it to crawl up on my finger, but it got nervous and covered its face and it was just so cute.
No need for moist and dry sides usually but that may be helpful for the molt. I wouldn't wet the whole enclosure, they like it dry usually. My little Brachy slings i keep on moist substrate so they can burrow until they're about 1.5" or so leg span then they tend not to burrow as much and are out in the open more.

Like Scarlet :D my very first T - the Brachypelma vagans - Mexican Red Rump
20160825_215212[1].jpg

Latest posts