• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

a great first day with my N. chromatus. :|

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
so my girlfriend gave me a 3.5 inch male N. chromatus for valentine's day. <3 and when i transferred him from his container to the larger container, he flicked hairs. now i got red spots all over my arm. :p any tips on how to not catch the hairs? =)) i was kinda shocked about how he moves, he's so fast and skittish compared to the G. pulchripes. :eek:

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just try to understand what the spider is feeling and don't do things to piss it off lol.

Make sure you wash your hands are arms well if you think it might have come in contact with the hairs as soon as you safely can after exposure. Also, try moving the spiders into a smaller container, like a deli cup, then transferring over to the larger container. Or if he was already in a cup, just pu it on its side in the new container and remove the lid and let him walk out on his own.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Nhandus have some of the worst hairs.. no joke, I've been haired by tons of Ts but none bothered me as much as a Nhandus.
Sad thing is, with Nhandus, they kick hairs. Just opening their containers, can set them off... Only advice I can give ya, tap the lid or side of his enclosure, let him kick hairs, then let it settle for 10 mins or so, and try opening the lid.
If the hairs really annoy you, you might wanna consider keeping some old worlds :). The main reason I prefer ow to nw.. I hate getting haired, lol.

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
Nhandus have some of the worst hairs.. no joke, I've been haired by tons of Ts but none bothered me as much as a Nhandus.
Sad thing is, with Nhandus, they kick hairs. Just opening their containers, can set them off... Only advice I can give ya, tap the lid or side of his enclosure, let him kick hairs, then let it settle for 10 mins or so, and try opening the lid.
If the hairs really annoy you, you might wanna consider keeping some old worlds :). The main reason I prefer ow to nw.. I hate getting haired, lol.

question. how many times can he kick hairs before he runs out? lol. because he has a pretty big bald spot now. when i got him he had a bald spot. but when he kicked hairs. it became even bigger. :D

Atx13

3 Year Member
That's a good question, I've never kept a T that ran out of hairs to kick, I've had some that were pretty bald, before a moult, but never stopped kicking them, lol.

Latest posts