• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.geniculata in almost-headstand position

Nanchantress

3 Year Member
My young female A.geniculata has rolled some coco fiber substrate into a ball (with maybe a feeder roach inside?) and has been holding onto it while in a head-down position for several DAYS. She has remained motionless that way for so long I thought she might have gotten stuck or something so I jiggled her enclosure and she quickly ran to a different area. However she was back in her gripping headstand position within minutes.
She has molted 4 times since I got her 7 months ago and is now about 2.5" DLS. Confirmed female. She is still young, but do you think she is "practicing" egg sac behavior? Is it instinct? Have you ever seen this behavior before in such a young unmated T? 20180113_000920.jpg20180113_000810.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It could be an infertile egg sac she's made. I've had a couple of young females make them and stay with them until they realise that they are duds and abandoned them.

Latest posts