• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Genic: What is this, please?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi all,
hopefully you can shed some light on this, as googling brought up all sorts from loose hair (hopefully) to mold (hopefully not)
I noticed this patch on my A. Genics abdomen yesterday. She's healthy other than that. What could this be (it's the white/beige patch near her bottom. The other dot is a water droplet)?
First pic is a bit blurry, but hopefully the other to are helpful
IMG_4549_zpse712303e.jpg

IMG_4552_zpsa7c367f1.jpg

IMG_45522_zps8389bb1b.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Adam tarantula

3 Year Member
Mate this is just where your T has kicked hairs when disturbed, don't bother it and it will retain the rest, not due a molt until the beige goes dark, then once fresh the urticating hairs grow back

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
It is a quick way to spot a stressed tarantula. When i buy a tarantula from someone i look to see if it has lots of hairs missing if it does it means it was a Stressed T. This can be due to poor environment but usually means over handling. Handling a Tarantula does nothing for it they gain nothign from it liek a cat or dog does.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't handle my Ts at all so it can't be that, but I have a feeling what it could be: We recently moved our living room around and although the spiders are now in a warmer darker spot, maybe she got stressed by the initial move.
I'll leave her alone any for a while and thanks for your replies.

hellknite

3 Year Member
I got 2 adult female genics.. one of them had that one.. I noticed that spot after I tried cleaning her enclosure.. she flicked like 3 times during the process..

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Some T's are just kickers. My B. auratum used to kick at me every time opened or closed the lid or touched her water dish. Thankfully she grew out of it. Some T's will also kick hairs onto the groind around their enclosure to help protect their burrow, kinda like a barbed wire fence

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeap as mentioned some are just eternally grumpy :)
Thing is, she's not actually shown any aggression towards me, when I open her faunarium or refill the water bowl or spot clean, usually just sits there (my Rosea is more "difficult" as she runs towards anything that enters her enclosure). Even when I had to coax her back over the divider wall (see "My new A. Geniculata" thread) she was really chilled about it and very tolerant to being touched on her legs by the paintbrush. That said, obviously I can't watch her 24/7 so who knows what could have made her kick hair. She seems "happy"/"content" enough now anyway and does her usual thing from chilling inside her hide to having a walk around (probably looking for food, lol).

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Overall, there is not much hair missing so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. As mentioned, some T's kick out hair more than others. May be a sign of stress maybe not. Could be worse:

upload_2014-10-5_19-35-20.jpeg

Latest posts