• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A.Avic not webbing or eating?

Naseem

3 Year Member
I've had my Juvenile A.Avic for over a week now and I've been expecting some form of webbing as I know they're mid level webbers but so far there has not been one line of web made. Might this be because it's a Juvenile? (Although I've seen Juveniles web just as much as adults) or maybe because, and I think this might be the real reason, the enclosure is too big?

It's 20X20X30cm and I originally bought it for an adult female but when I arrived at the petshop to pick up the adult female I ended up leaving with a Juvenile as they didn't get the order right (I'm not complaining though, my lil guy/gal is so cute) so could this be the cause? My humidity & temps are fine (around 24c in the day, allow a drop at night with 75-80% humidity with PLENTY of ventilation) so that shouldn't affect it.

Another issue is nor has it eaten. I've offered wax worms that were a good size twice in the past week & a few days & both times it has not been interested and just walked off. I know it's not a big issue but the fact that Avics are very good eaters and it's not webbing one bit I'm thinking something's wrong? I'm thinking about trying a more "active" food source to try and get a reaction such as crickets or locusts against my wishes due to the fact they are not as nutritious as worms are. Sorry for the essay but help anyone?

swimbait

3 Year Member
The enclosure is a little big but shouldn't be a problem, if provided the right environment these guys web like crazy. Any pics of the enclosure?

Naseem

3 Year Member
It's not bare or anything but what I find funny is despite all the cover it could use if too much space was the problem is the fact it sits on the glass for everyone to see instead of hiding away! Such a lil show off lol!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    904.3 KB · Views: 176

swimbait

3 Year Member
It should settle in soon, I have had luck adding fake plants to the ceiling hanging down just a inch or so

Poec54

3 Year Member
They can take a few weeks to settle in, if the abdomen isn't skinny, it won't starve in the meantime. Is the substrate moist? Avics rarely like that, in fact moist substrate and poor ventilation kill more Avics than anything else. Many first-time Avic owners overmist their Avics and end up with a wet cage. They don't need high humidity, a water bowl provides that. They live up in trees where breezes dry the branches and leaves out after rains.

Naseem

3 Year Member
Sorry for the late reply I've only just got the alert lol. The substrate is not moist and I don't mist I provide a waterbowl which supplies all the humidity I need. I have a screen top lid with a few vent holes at the back and the front of the tank so ventilation isn't a problem. I'm going to try offering locusts today as they move around a lot more so I'm hoping that will get a feeding response and I'm not going to offer it on tongs, just throw it in the tank and let the natural hunting skills take place. Oh and the abdomen is small as it's a Juvie but not too small for it's size or with any wrinkled/creased skin, he's very active, vibrant and seems to drink from the waterbowl every night so health wise I'd say very healthy

Naseem

3 Year Member
So close! Offered him a last wax worm before I move onto locusts or crickets and he hung over it ready to pounce but coincidentally the wax worm stopped wriggling around so he lost interest and didn't want it after that. I'm SOOOO sure locusts/Crickets will be a much more favourable dinner for him

Tyronne

3 Year Member
Have you tried roaches? Best meat to shell ratio. They are super fat gutloaded. And if you get glass climbers like lobster or pallids, that would be perfect for your avic :)

Naseem

3 Year Member
I plan on eventually moving onto roaches when he's bigger but for now I'll stick with smaller prey items, think it'll be a lot of hassle trying to get the right sized roaches when I can just feed him something else in the mean time

Tyronne

3 Year Member
Oh ok. I breed roaches :) My lobsters and pallids are all in the same tub. I started with about 700 a month ago, they must easily be on over 2000 by now. They reproduce at a rapid rate so I always have a mass of different sizes. From 2mm to 40mm. I have friends who get free roaches for their T's / reptiles from me :p I also have a baby beardie cleaning up 10-15 small roaches a day. It's really worth it, and they are SO much easier to maintain than crickets. Also no odor :)

Naseem

3 Year Member
Damn that's a lot of roaches! that's the thing I wouldn't want/need that much cause I only have the 1 T but isn't breeding inevitable with Roaches?

Latest posts