• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

3 AM Escapee

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good morning fam! I had quite the encounter earlier this morning. Going back about 3 days ago, I had to clean out the cork bark slab for my male M. balfouri. He was quite skittish bolting around the enclosure but not defensive at all. I redesigned his husbandry and adjusted it to better suit his environmental needs. After I returned him to his enclosure, he kept climbing around all over the place for 3 days straight. Earlier yesterday evening I took him off the wall of the enclosure (to avoid him being injured) and put him into a catch cup to guide him to the opening of his new hide. I left him in the catch cup right over the top of the opening of the hide. I wake up at 3 AM seeing once again, him back on the wall, so I proceeded to catch him again, but this time he was slick... He bolted out of the enclosure and made a bee line across my room, made a sharp left, going around the back of my dresser! My adrenaline shot up quicker than a pop tart out of a toaster! Mind you, there are a couple of boxes next to the dresser with my wife's trinkets, as well as 6 big drawers filled with clothes, along with several other items on top. I grab my flashlight and slowly lifted the dresser to move it out so I could get behind it. I looked under and he was not there, thankfully there was no way up into the drawers, at least I couldn't see any. Then I back up, shine my light a little further up and there he was on the back of my dresser, staring me down with the "you can't catch me, na na na na naaa NA", look in his cute little beady eyes :oops:. I then grab my catch cup and place it over the top of him with a gentle push of my paint brush and he does this crazy Matrix move, goes around it, runs into my wife's wicker basket and clings onto this stuffed toy. Willing to take the hit, I gingerly grab the stuffed toy, and as I moved the toy, he kept going around the world on it until I finally place the toy into the enclosure right near his hide. "Get your behind in the house!" With a couple more quick paint brush maneuvers, I finally got him inside safe and sound! o_O Thank You Lord! So it only took me a couple of hours to go back to sleep with my adrenaline still present. I go to check on him later on this morning and he already webbed up the front of his hide lol. But now he is currently grounded for a week.... Merry Christmas indeed! :D:T: Pictured below is the doll he ran laps around....

Attachments

• 20191224_114220.jpg
    20191224_114220.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Glad you managed to outmanuevere him + get him back into his home!
Phhheeewww lol :D I thought for a moment I was gonna lose him. My mind was racing thinking he was gonna be crushed under the dresser or get into the wall behind it, or into the drawers. But I didn't panic suffice the adrenaline rush, I know The Lord helped me catch him. These M. balfouris are super intelligent, but not smarter than this average bear :D

Latest posts