1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

10 New Pulchra Slings

Discussion in 'Grammostola' started by Tortoise Tom, May 25, 2018.

1. Tortoise Tom

Tortoise Tom Well-Known Member

They arrived Wednesday and I set them up in their little 16oz. deli cups. Each cup has a little rock, a plastic plant, and a water bottle cap for drinking. Substrate is straight coco coir.
    IMG_5570.JPG

I tapped the vials for the first few and got them out, but then I decided to just leave them in their vials and let them come out on their own. I figured they'd come out at night. Most of Thursday, I was busy and just left them alone. I figured I'd check on them and try to feed them this morning. All of the ones I left in their vials were still in their vials. Seems they like their vials better than the enclosures I made up for them: IMG_5578.JPG

Eventually I got them all out and in their enclosures, and then I dropped a little Blatta lateralis pinhead into each enclosure. I had lots of time this morning, so I sat and watched each spiderling for a little while to see how they would do. The first four had spent the last two days in their enclosures without their vials, so I figured they'd be comfortable and hungry. Nope. They all ran from the roaches.
    IMG_5587.JPG

Number 5 was the only one that ate, and he/she was one of the ones I had to dump out of the vials:
    IMG_5584.JPG

None of the others took their roach despite the roaches running right in front of their faces. Hopefully, they will feel a little more emboldened by the night, and take care of business in the dark.
  2. PanzoN88

PanzoN88 Well-Known Member

Excellent, I just recently got some slings of this species as well.
    Dave Jay likes this.
  3. Tortoise Tom

This will be my second time raising pulchra slings. The first time I bought three at a reptile show in 2008. Raised them all up and had two males and one female. I never tried to breed them and the two males eventually died at 5-6 years old. Still have my big girl after 10 years. I really like the species. Easy keepers.
    Kymura and Dave Jay like this.
  4. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 Well-Known Member

Thats a pretty good investment in a species! Enjoy!
  5. LuboMoravcik

LuboMoravcik Member

Are they as slow to grow as I've read?
  6. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 Well-Known Member

All of the grammostolas are pretty slow growers and big fasters when it comes to premolt.

Cool profile picture.
    LuboMoravcik and Kymura like this.
  7. Tortoise Tom

The bulk of my experience with tarantulas has been with Grammostola and Brachypelma. That is my main frame of reference for tarantula growth rates. I've got many new species coming in, so I'll be able to give a better comparison in a few months. Grammostola and Brachypelma growth rates seem pretty quick to me, but I also keep my reptile room warmer than most people keep their spiders, and I also tend to feed more since I have a plethora of roaches that need to be eaten. If other species grow much faster, I'm in for a wild ride coming up soon! :)

And I very much agree with Metalman's observation about the pre-molt fasting. And after molt too. My big one's often take 2-3 weeks before they want to eat after a molt.
    Dave Jay likes this.
  8. LuboMoravcik

LuboMoravcik Member

I think you are in for a wild ride once you get a fast growing species haha.
    Dave Jay likes this.
  9. Tortoise Tom

I hope so. I like wild rides!
    Dave Jay likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted