• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

White mites in sling enclosure help?

glitchsixxle

I believe I found scavenger mites in one of my half inch slings enclosure. There were only two in the water dish but from what I've heard over the months they generally aren't harmful unless there's blooms of them? Am I ok to leave them or will they infect all of my other slings (I keep them all in a warm aquarium right next to eachother) I've heard predatory mites work but that's just not something I know a lot about and I don't know who all could have mites too if so, and if I should take any action or leave it :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I believe I found scavenger mites in one of my half inch slings enclosure. There were only two in the water dish but from what I've heard over the months they generally aren't harmful unless there's blooms of them? Am I ok to leave them or will they infect all of my other slings (I keep them all in a warm aquarium right next to eachother) I've heard predatory mites work but that's just not something I know a lot about and I don't know who all could have mites too if so, and if I should take any action or leave it :)
It sounds as if you have springtails - they are harmless to your tarantula, are good clean up crew and are drawn to damp areas and water dishes, they are small almost white in colour with elongated body shape (mites usually have rounded body shape) hope that helps :)

glitchsixxle

It sounds as if you have springtails - they are harmless to your tarantula, are good clean up crew and are drawn to damp areas and water dishes, they are small almost white in colour with elongated body shape (mites usually have rounded body shape) hope that helps :)
Awesome! I actually wondered if they were springtails but if so im glad I can leave then in!

Babbel

I found out one of my T's has 'mites'? on her patty palps?
She even has molted in between, but she is scratching it all the time. I got me a magnifying glass to see what she was doing.
Can it hurt? Or how do I get rid of it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220529_180804.jpg
    IMG_20220529_180804.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

Konstantin

3 Year Member
I found out one of my T's has 'mites'? on her patty palps?
She even has molted in between, but she is scratching it all the time. I got me a magnifying glass to see what she was doing.
Can it hurt? Or how do I get rid of it.
Hi
Unfortunately for sling that small drying the enclosure for extended period will not be an option.
You can try to lure them to get off the sling.
You can place a small piece of veg(carrot,cucumber... ) and remove it after an hour. You may need to repeat that several times with fresh piece of veg while discarding the previous one.If that doesn't do it move the sling to dry enclosure with waterdish only for few days and try the veg in that.
Once they come off the sling rehouse it in new enclosure discarding old substrate .
I doubt that the mites are doing it anything rather than annoying it imo.
Regards Konstantin

Babbel

Hi
Unfortunately for sling that small drying the enclosure for extended period will not be an option.
You can try to lure them to get off the sling.
You can place a small piece of veg(carrot,cucumber... ) and remove it after an hour. You may need to repeat that several times with fresh piece of veg while discarding the previous one.If that doesn't do it move the sling to dry enclosure with waterdish only for few days and try the veg in that.
Once they come off the sling rehouse it in new enclosure discarding old substrate .
I doubt that the mites are doing it anything rather than annoying it imo.
Regards Konstantin
I'm going to try it, thank you so much.
I will prep a new enclosure and try to get the mites.
The mites are also present in the substrate but not so plentyfull as on my T

Latest posts