• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When should I start worrying

Pants__cat

3 Year Member
I have a G. Rosea sling, it's my first time owning a sling and only my second time owning a T, its burrowed before but always near the side so I could see it and it never closed the top off. Now I suspect it has burrowed again but I don't know where and there's no visible opening. I had been having trouble keeping weight on it, won't eat very often and now I have no way to tell how thin it's getting. Normally it's a very active sling and climbs all over the sides of the inclosure. How long should I wait before I start to worry?

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
These guys have a habit of going extended periods without eating. I would suspect a molt at this point since he/she has closed off the opening. How long has it been since u saw it last?

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
I wouldn't worry too much yet. It can take a while for them to molt. I had a pair about 10 years ago and my female would sometimes take 2 weeks to molt. I don't know if everyone would agree but when mine would go into premolt I would increase humidity just a little to help them through it. My female went a month without eating during her 2 week molt. She didn't eat a week before molt during molt and a week after molt. Keep us posted on progress and please post pics as soon as ur baby reemerges.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Also make sure u write down either on a calendar or in a spider only book dates of last feeding when they burrow and emerge and also if they did molt or not and when they start eating again. This info can be extremely helpful to us if u have a problem. Good luck