• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When is it too much water intake?

I adopted an A. Seemani (roughly 4-4 1/2 inches) from a guy at work. His son just had to have it and wouldn't leave it alone. it ran up his sons arm, across his face and then down his back, trying to get away from him. Now the kid wants nothing to do with it.

But I noticed the other night after I filled up its water bowl. That it would sit its entire body in the water bowl and I don't know if it soaked up all the water or if it drank all of it. I was just wondering if it was dehydrated maybe. But it has done that 3 times in the last week. So I didn't know if I needed to cut back on the provided water or what.

I was also told by the old owner that it would never eat. Every time I feed with either large Dubias, super worms, or crickets it attacks the food. So I'm not sure if the owners son was just harassing the poor thing until it just wouldn't eat or drink anymore or what.

Thanks for any insight

Heretic

People were just talking about this behavior when the sucking stomach doesnt get pulled off during a molt. The T cant drink so it sits in the water bowl. I hope he makes it if this is the issue. From what I read there is no way to get water or nutrients into the stomach because the old throat & stomach is blocking the new throat and stomach. I hope this isnt it.

Heretic

I was told by a fellow keeper his pet store gets "returned" Tarantulas that have mouth and fang injuries from kids poking them with stuff to see their fangs. They will attack and even kill pray but cant eat. Please keep us updated on this if you dont mind.

I've been cutting up superworms and putting them in the water dish. Hoping to get a molt soon. I was attempting to feed the T still but now it just pushes the food away with its legs. Hopefully thats a sign of going into molt. Fingers crossed. I will take some pictures here soon. Its a beautiful T.

So last night I killed 3 pretty good sized Superworms. Dropped them in a pile in the enclosure just to see what would happen and this morning no Superworms. So for the time being we are going to see about scavenging food.

Update... we molted last night. 30 October.

Attachments

• 20231030_041117.jpg
    20231030_041117.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 14

Latest posts