• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what to get next?

jrh3

3 Year Member
ok guys this hobby is crazy, i cant stop looking and new T's.

so far i have :
3 a. versicolor
1 gbb
1 .b boehmei
1. b. albo
1. lasiodora parahybana

i really like the arboreal species, but not sure what to get next. must be new world. i got my eye on avic. avic. but looking for a few rarer species.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Iridopelma hirsutum - a very hairy T that is almost always visible and very calm.
Tapinauchenius - a very fast genus
Psalmopoeus reduncus
Depending on your confidence there are also Heteroscodra maculata and Stromatopelma calceatum, both generally known to be quite aggressive.

jrh3

3 Year Member
Iridopelma hirsutum - a very hairy T that is almost always visible and very calm.
Tapinauchenius - a very fast genus
Psalmopoeus reduncus
Depending on your confidence there are also Heteroscodra maculata and Stromatopelma calceatum, both generally known to be quite aggressive.
Iridopelma hirsutum is very nice looking, i think the rest you list are old world right? not sure im ready for them yet lol. im gonna do some research on hirsutum

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Iridopelma hirsutum is very nice looking, i think the rest you list are old world right? not sure im ready for them yet lol. im gonna do some research on hirsutum
These 2 are both NW, the Tapinauchenius are from Guyana, S America and Psalmopoeus reduncus from Costa Rica.

Apologies my mistake on the Heteroscodra maculata and Stromatopelma calceatum both OW.

jrh3

3 Year Member
These 2 are both NW, the Tapinauchenius are from Guyana, S America and Psalmopoeus reduncus from Costa Rica.

Apologies my mistake on the Heteroscodra maculata and Stromatopelma calceatum both OW.

wow, i have been eyeballing tapinauchenius gigas for a while but i thought was old world, so if its new world, man i gotta put on top of the list.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Maybe a psalmopoeus pulcher? Campbridgei, irminia...if you're looking at avics, you really can't go wrong with the A avic. Any of them really..I still need an amazonica..

jrh3

3 Year Member
@jrh3 I have both gigas and violaceus and would recommend them both.
thx, gigas is top of list,i like the colors, and i really like them, and just now i held my first T ever, was doing cage change and crawled out on my hand, wooo that made it worse, i dont think i will ever own anything besides tarantulas here out, lol. awesome hobby.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
thx, gigas is top of list,i like the colors, and i really like them, and just now i held my first T ever, was doing cage change and crawled out on my hand, wooo that made it worse, i dont think i will ever own anything besides tarantulas here out, lol. awesome hobby.

I've just had the same thing happen while rehousing the violaceus, it ran up my arm. I managed to block it with my other hand and it ran straight back down my hand into the new container. It's the biggest T I've ever handled. Not bad for someone whose spent 60+ years scared of spiders.

jrh3

3 Year Member
I've just had the same thing happen while rehousing the violaceus, it ran up my arm. I managed to block it with my other hand and it ran straight back down my hand into the new container. It's the biggest T I've ever handled. Not bad for someone whose spent 60+ years scared of spiders.
lol, same boat. i was so scared of them also, but ever since i got into tarantulas, the fear is gone.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Enn you should look at some macro photography of true spiders. It may help you. They're really diverse and fascinating, and I hate to say it but no tarantula can compete with them for looks..some of them anyway.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Enn you should look at some macro photography of true spiders. It may help you. They're really diverse and fascinating, and I hate to say it but no tarantula can compete with them for looks..some of them anyway.

I watched a BBC documentary a few weeks ago about them and yes, it was fascinating and they looked great but they still freak me out loose in the house. I'm not as bad a I used to be though.

jrh3

3 Year Member
I watched a BBC documentary a few weeks ago about them and yes, it was fascinating and they looked great but they still freak me out loose in the house. I'm not as bad a I used to be though.
lol, i find atleast 2 black widows a month in my house. probably could go look now and find 2 or 3 around my house

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got p. cambridgei as a freebie and have since fallen in love with the speed and down right ferocity when it eats. Only T I have that has chased a red runner and caught it.

He's one of the reasons I stated looking at trap door spiders. He's burrowed down in the crook under the back of the bark where it meets the substrate and ambushes anything coming near.

A. Sp Peru purple is my fav Avic much more active and aggressive at prey than our versicolor