• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what tarantula is ideal for this enclosure?

EmperorEtter

3 Year Member
okay, so i have a 10g with a screen top. no heat pad or light, but my room is generally between 70-80F with an average of 75F. i want to do a communal h. incei setup at some point, but i'm not sure if this is a good set up for that. i want this to be the permanent house of whatever goes in there since i already have to deal with two other pets that are going to need upgrades in about 6-8 months and i don't like that. i'm still pretty new to tarantulas, but i pick up on things quickly. i'm willing to take on a challenge, but i think something hardy would be best since i can't keep the heat at a specific temperature (it will probably just get to 70 at night and rise until late afternoon when it hits 78-80 then falls again like a normal daytime heat cycle)
i have a curly hair, gbb, and amazon sapphire.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
okay, so i have a 10g with a screen top. no heat pad or light, but my room is generally between 70-80F with an average of 75F. i want to do a communal h. incei setup at some point, but i'm not sure if this is a good set up for that. i want this to be the permanent house of whatever goes in there since i already have to deal with two other pets that are going to need upgrades in about 6-8 months and i don't like that. i'm still pretty new to tarantulas, but i pick up on things quickly. i'm willing to take on a challenge, but i think something hardy would be best since i can't keep the heat at a specific temperature (it will probably just get to 70 at night and rise until late afternoon when it hits 78-80 then falls again like a normal daytime heat cycle)
i have a curly hair, gbb, and amazon sapphire.
You don't need a heat lamp period for any tarantula. Tarantulas hate light for one, and you're likely to end up with a toasted spider. If you're really concerned about heating, then buy a space heater for the room. I'd advise against attempting a communal given your limited amount of experience. You can house a number of large south American terrestrial in a tank that size.

EmperorEtter

3 Year Member
any ideas on a specific species though? my favorite so far that i have is definitely the gbb, and i like how much it webs. i couldn't get anything larger than 5" legspan, but i'm not sure about all the different types still. i keep hearing about a pumpkin patch spider but i'm having trouble figuring out what any info on it is.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
any ideas on a specific species though? my favorite so far that i have is definitely the gbb, and i like how much it webs. i couldn't get anything larger than 5" legspan, but i'm not sure about all the different types still. i keep hearing about a pumpkin patch spider but i'm having trouble figuring out what any info on it is.
Pumpkin patch are a dwarf species. 10 GAL would be way too big.

elektragrl

3 Year Member
Have you looked at Brachypelma Smithi they get a little Bigger then 5in but they are beefy And beautiful to look at. It's hard to have a tank to fit a Tarantula rather then the tarantula to fit a tank. Are you wanting it to be fully grown when you get your T or are you wanting to watch it get bigger? Are you looking for bright colors on your T? And would you care if it had hairs? tarantulas are already low maintenance in my opinion but some require more attention then others so how much time are you willing to give to your new Tarantula? I'm not trying to be mean or rude just trying to give better suggestion on a species.

Latest posts