• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What is your favorite species of tarantula?

While I do not (yet) own a tarantula or any other inverts if you were to ask me what my favorite T is I'd probably say the P. metallica. I think both their coloration and patterning is gorgeous, even more so than the other Pokies. Unfortunately they are an OW species that is known to be pretty skittish & defensive w/ a potent venom so it's unlikely I'll be getting one for quite some time. Some other T's that I really like a lot though are the A. geniculata, L. parahybana & the C. cyaneopubescens and one of those will very likely be my first tarantula . So, what are some of you guy's favorite species?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The P.metallica in my view is the calmest of the pokies and I bought her as my 2nd tarantula, my 1st being an OBT. Yes, I started with the "hard ones".
My current favourites are the L. parahybana and G. pulchra.

The P.metallica in my view is the calmest of the pokies and I bought her as my 2nd tarantula, my 1st being an OBT. Yes, I started with the "hard ones".
I really like the G. pulchra too. Gorgeous jet black coloration. Btw, are you able to use emojis on this site? They're not showing up for some reason, at least for me.

I tried putting a smiley face emoji at the end of my 2nd to last sentence on that first post. Then on my follow up comment when I said "Meant to put a "input smiley face" at the end of my 2nd to last sentence." it didn't show up either. It's not a big deal, I'm just looking for clarification.

And I have indeed heard that the P. metallica is one of the calmer Pokies out there, so that's good.

meridannight

Looks-wise, Cyriopagopus sp hati hati hands down. I think they're the most beautiful spider of all.

Behavior-temperament-wise I really like my Pseudhapalopus sp blue. They're just so bold and inquisitive little creatures. Mine is only a little spiderling for now, but I like his attitude a lot.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For me nowadays it’s about the favorite genus rather than a favorite species.

Aphonopelma (all of the Species found in the US and Mexico): my favorite species in this genus is A. hentzi, dream species A. marxi

Brachypelma: favorite species is B. emilia, dream species is B. smithi

Harpactira: favorite is H. dictator, dream is Harpactira gigas

Psalmopoeus: favorite is P. langenbucheri, dream is P. ecclesiasticus

Tliltocatl: favorite is T. schroederi, dream is another T. schroederi

Heterothele: I’ve raised both villosella and gabonensis, but H. gabonensis is my favorite.

Phormictopus: favorite is P. cancerides, dream is P. auratus

Looks-wise, Cyriopagopus sp hati hati hands down. I think they're the most beautiful spider of all.

Behavior-temperament-wise I really like my Pseudhapalopus sp blue. They're just so bold and inquisitive little creatures. Mine is only a little spiderling for now, but I like his attitude a lot.
I've heard Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati mentioned quite a bit on arachno-forums as of late and have been seeing a few for sale. What's the temperament like in your experience? The one guy said his 1.5" or so sling or juvenile is kinda defensive and always throwing up threat postures, the other guy said his individual is fairly laid back. You are right, they definitely are quite beautiful.

meridannight

I've heard Cyriopagopus sp. Hati Hati mentioned quite a bit on arachno-forums as of late and have been seeing a few for sale. What's the temperament like in your experience? The one guy said his 1.5" or so sling or juvenile is kinda defensive and always throwing up threat postures, the other guy said his individual is fairly laid back. You are right, they definitely are quite beautiful.

In my experience they're quite reclusive when young, and like to keep to themselves. Mine was sensitive and easily stressed -- not something I would say about my other tarantulas -- but I never got threat poses or anything like that.

I've not had a mature one yet, so I can't say about their temperament when adults.

adc

I love my Arizona Blonde. I recommend the Female. They live really long. They grow sloooowwwly. Mine is (I understand) at least 3 years old and is like 2 1/2 inches. I have her 4+ months. She had a big roach before I got her and has not eaten yet. This species is like that.

I was re-assured on here that they can go at least a year without eating. She does drink.

IMG-6326.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Mine at 5 years old is quite shy but when it shows itself it's worth the wait. I'd say shy rather than defensive.

Blackdog

I love my Arizona Blonde. I recommend the Female. They live really long. They grow sloooowwwly. Mine is (I understand) at least 3 years old and is like 2 1/2 inches. I have her 4+ months. She had a big roach before I got her and has not eaten yet. This species is like that.

I was re-assured on here that they can go at least a year without eating. She does drink.

IMG-6326.jpg
I se ond that Arizo a Blond!

Attachments

• 20230101_123912.jpg
    20230101_123912.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20230101_123925.jpg
    20230101_123925.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16

Spiders&Snakes

It does depend on the individual specimen though! This is something to bear in mind.

You can say "oh I love Metallicas the best" but I've seen some pretty dull looking metallicas. So it really does depend on the individual spider.

IMG-6326.jpg
They're kinda cool in their own way. A geniculata would still be my #1 pick with the L. parahybana & C. cyaneopubescens being my #2 and #3 picks respectively. Love the beautiful bright white knees on the Genic & both them and the LPs get huge & are voracious eaters. The GBB I like cause of the gorgeous green-blue-orange coloration pattern they have going on and the fact they can build some pretty beautiful webs. GBB would probably be my #2 pick for prettiest tarantula after the P. metallica and the Genic would probably be somewhere in the top 10. An A. chalcodes would be kinda cool if I decided I wanted to do an "American SW Desert Collection" since one of the scorpions I'm getting is an Arizona Desert Hairy (H. arizonensis) but I've also heard the Arizona Desert Blonde grows very slowly, so I'd probably want a full size adult female. Not a sling and probably not even a juvenile.

Spiders&Snakes

Nah I don't find the GBB as striking as the others I mentioned. GBBs make great starter tarantulas, and great pets in general, but I prefer mor striking colours. You put a female GBB next to a female P. Metallica and you'll see the metallica blue is so much more vibrant and bright, it almost makes the GBB colours look muted.