• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What happens if the humidity in a tarantula enclosure is too high?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Humidity control is yet another area of the hobby that not all of us agree on what is the right level for every species or even how necessary it is for T health. I generally try to keep the relative humidity at about the same level as the T would enjoy in the wild. However, in the wild, there are vast swings in humidity (Yes, it does rain in the desert occasionally). But, with that said, I will try to answer your question

Assuming it is a high humidity species to begin with, worst things can happen. However, if the humidity is too high (and I am not sure if you have a specific concern or more of a general question?), it will promote mold tjo begin with. Slings should have a higher humidity than adults as they have not developed their exoskeletons which prevents water loss. To avoid bad things from happening, always make sure that your soil has adequate drainage and never remains saturated with water for too long. You can always add water but it is hard to remove.

Humidity requirements are one of the most important factors in researching one's next species. High humidity T's do require much more care than desert species.

Hope that helps? If you have more specific questions, I would be happy to answer them as well.

david11

3 Year Member
Humidity control is yet another area of the hobby that not all of us agree on what is the right level for every species or even how necessary it is for T health. I generally try to keep the relative humidity at about the same level as the T would enjoy in the wild. However, in the wild, there are vast swings in humidity (Yes, it does rain in the desert occasionally). But, with that said, I will try to answer your question

Assuming it is a high humidity species to begin with, worst things can happen. However, if the humidity is too high (and I am not sure if you have a specific concern or more of a general question?), it will promote mold tjo begin with. Slings should have a higher humidity than adults as they have not developed their exoskeletons which prevents water loss. To avoid bad things from happening, always make sure that your soil has adequate drainage and never remains saturated with water for too long. You can always add water but it is hard to remove.

Humidity requirements are one of the most important factors in researching one's next species. High humidity T's do require much more care than desert species.

Hope that helps? If you have more specific questions, I would be happy to answer them as well.
i have a juvenile A.Geniculata and i accidentally spilled water in the enclosure,however it is only damp on one side and it is completly dry on the other side of the enclosure,and the humidity is 100%.Can something bad happen? Should i rehouse her or drill more holes on the lid?

Roo

3 Year Member
i have a juvenile A.Geniculata and i accidentally spilled water in the enclosure,however it is only damp on one side and it is completly dry on the other side of the enclosure,and the humidity is 100%.Can something bad happen? Should i rehouse her or drill more holes on the lid?

As a one off I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just make sure you have good cross ventilation.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oops! :confused:

I agree with Roo. Should be fine once you skip the normal humidity cycle or two. Good luck.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's a genic, she'll help soak up that extra humidity :) Don't worry about it, and don't change her ventilation unless mold starts to form. Just let it dry out and keep an eye out for mold, she'll be fine. You can also stir the substrate to distribute it more evenly and let it dry up. How's she acting? does she avoid the damp substrate or is she sitting right on top of it? I'm willing to bet it's the latter. And if you have a humidity dial (hydrometer) with arms on it that you bought from a pet store, I suggest you throw it away, they are completely useless. I bought several before figuring that out..they aren't accurate at all. Your spider will let you know when it's uncomfortable with conditions, and you obviously pay attention, so don't sweat it. :)
One thing I forgot..all spiders do well with heavy ventilation...if your ventilation is not sufficient, it will mold in there before it dries up. Hope this helps.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When a T sits on top of the damp substrate, does that mean she needs more humidity?
Sometimes. Sometimes it just means they're enjoying it, and they'll move away after awhile. My genic will sit on it til it's dry, then move back to her water dish. But she's doing fine, and I don't believe in keeping substrate constantly damp, you have to let it dry out or you'll cause problems like mold and mites, bacteria, that sort of thing. As long as they have a water dish with fresh water they're fine. The occasional soaking is just a treat:) Lots of ventilation, for every species, is the key to a healthy spider.:T:

Latest posts