• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Well, it happened.....

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
IMG_4747.JPG
RAMBO, my huge female T stirmi molted yesterday. I cannot imagine what size she'll be once I can measure her. Remember, this pic posted here was her last molt, and it was sitting on a 12" paper plate.
She looks enormous now. Wow.

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
How about a ruler next to the old molt/paper plate? most all regular paper plates are 8-10", Some of the more expensive ones (Chinet comes to mind) come in 12" size. Without a ruler its hard to gain perspective.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
View attachment 19832 RAMBO, my huge female T stirmi molted yesterday. I cannot imagine what size she'll be once I can measure her. Remember, this pic posted here was her last molt, and it was sitting on a 12" paper plate.
She looks enormous now. Wow.
If only she was in the UK. I have a large male who would love to "hook up"....if you get my drift.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
How about a ruler next to the old molt/paper plate? most all regular paper plates are 8-10", Some of the more expensive ones (Chinet comes to mind) come in 12" size. Without a ruler its hard to gain perspective.
The old molt is mounted, but i will measure the new molt once she isn't laying on it. I'll wet it, flatten it n measure it

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol yes she does. I'll have to give it another go before the old man dies
So, a quick question if you don't mind. As the males lack the hooks in his species.,what is he best way to confirm maturity? Is it just the presence of a sperm web or some hint els? I have just taken in a large male and so just wondering whether the is any clear signs I should look for apart form size (he is 8 to 9 inches) and the sperm web just mentioned. Will he drumming and wandering or is that only if he can sense the presence of a mature female. Thanks

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
A
So, a quick question if you don't mind. As the males lack the hooks in his species.,what is he best way to confirm maturity? Is it just the presence of a sperm web or some hint els? I have just taken in a large male and so just wondering whether the is any clear signs I should look for apart form size (he is 8 to 9 inches) and the sperm web just mentioned. Will he drumming and wandering or is that only if he can sense the presence of a mature female. Thanks
All mature male Tarantulas get swollen bulbous palps or emboli to use in transfer of sperm to the female.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A

All mature male Tarantulas get swollen bulbous palps or emboli to use in transfer of sperm to the female.
Thanks. I had completely forgotten about that. Same with a male P. Metallica I had. What a dumbass I am!

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
IMG_5288.JPG
Thanks. I had completely forgotten about that. Same with a male P. Metallica I had. What a dumbass I am!
Yea u can very easily see the "red" emboli "tubes"as well as the swollen looking ends of the pedipalps. The males, also have a smaller abdomen and very long "#1 &#2" legs. They use em to hold the females legs up to get in there, and keep her from biting his head off.
Here's a pic of my male n female ready to go at it, from before.

Latest posts