• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Well I got the wrong tarantula's lid plexiglassed, aparantly.

KhoanScart

So I had to do an unexpected tarantula rescue this morning. I walked into my gaming/tarantula room to check on my girls as I normally do before getting my coffee. Blossom was chillin' on her skull as she normally is and I was expecting to see Bianca huddled up in her little burrow that she's been working for the past few months or so. I don't normally see her out so it's usually nice when I catch her outside.

Usually.

Because usually I don't see her dangling from the top of her enclosure by one leg.

"Bianca! What the freakin' frick did you do!?"

Yeah, I actually said that. Not the 'freakin' frick' part but you know.

So I quickly look around for something to prop her up in because I'm afraid of her leg coming off and falling. It's only a nine inch drop but I'd still rather not have her fall at all (gonna add more substrate to shorten the distance sooner than later). I find a smaller herp haven I'd been using for crickets and open the front facing doors to cup her. The edges of it allow her to grab on with her other legs and prop herself up on the lid fully.

By this time my husband came in to see what the commotion was. Of all the pets I have to cause a ruckus at 3:30am I did not think it would be one of my Ts. I guide her to the opening and she climbs the edge and crawls on top. Unfortunately my haven it too big to fit between the top of the enclosure and the shelf above it so I can't cup it over her. Fortunately she decides to crawl towards the back of the shelf where she starts crawling down the outer edge of her cage. Easy. I just remove it and there's plenty of space to cup her. My husband gets me something to slide under the haven and she's secured. I open the lid to her enclosure and get her back inside.

Couldn't even let me have my coffee first, could you?

Seriously, I go through all the trouble of getting a plexiglass lid custom made for Blossom's enclosure and it's Bianca that has to go get herself stuck? I'm just glad the derp didn't lose her leg.

Since I don't get to see her out I snapped a quick pick of her post rescue. Yes, her water dish is dirty. I cleaned it already.

So I guess the moral of the story is always get your coffee before checking on your Ts? I dunno.

derp post derpyness.jpg

Latest posts