• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird post molt posture(s)

Nunua

3 Year Member
So, I was talking about this with @Enn49 around two months ago when my P. tigrinawesseli molted, and since it the same phenomenon happened again after the most recent molt I'm just curious if someone else has had similar experiences.

I'm not freaking out this time because she has been perfectly fine. She eats well, drinks occasionally, has no signs of motoric problems, she's not lethargic etc.. and this seems to be a thing after molting - Keeps doing that for some time, then stops. She also has never fell down doing this. Always using 2 - 5 legs to keep her on the wall.

So what I'm talking about? Well, my tw sitting occasionally like this, some of the legs curled under her.
6e124977e4.png

It looks bizarre as heck, and let me tell you that two months ago I was first pretty much sure that she'll die. But nope, she's just living a happy pokie life. She does not sit like this all the time and when there is even the smallest disturbance, she stretched her legs and sit normally - I didn't see if she was grooming before the pose this time, but for me it looked that she was just casually hanging there.

I have no idea what she is doing - having weird way to stretch her legs? But let me know if your Ts are doing anything similar :D

Ps. while I was writing this, she's back sitting in more normal position ;)
391d8d32fb.png

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine always get some type of weirdness after they molt, but once the fangs harden up and you give them the first post molt meal, things go back to normal.

Just keep the water dish full. Wait a week from the day they molted & make sure the fangs are fully black.

Do also take pics of possible because the colors are at their brightest at this time. Just make sure it doesn't escape. Better yet, shoot it through the acrylic or glass.

What I do is to turn the flash off. Then I shine a light on them at a 90 degree angle from the camera lens direction, then take the pic.

Nunua

3 Year Member
Mine always get some type of weirdness after they molt, but once the fangs harden up and you give them the first post molt meal, things go back to normal.
Yea, my terrestrials are being their weird selves post molt, but they don't look as bizarre as my tigrinawesseli :D And for the photos, yea, I keep taking them, even though tigrinawesseli is still just a ball of fluff with light browns and grays as she's just around 2.5" at the moment. She's also one of the most light sensitive from my Ts.

@Arachnoclown - Yeah, that's what it probably is. Just tarantula yoga :p From my few Ts only tigrinawesseli is into it, so when I first saw it two months ago I was just "Ohhhh, god Fn damn it.. What now..." :D

Latest posts