• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Weird after molt..

BelleAme

I have a sub adult A. seemani that molted for the first time in my care about 3 weeks ago. After her molt she simply stayed in one spot and position for over two weeks, i was starting to get worried until I looked in her hole and saw she had turned and was facing the entrance.

Didn't think much of it, was relieved so I put some food in there and moved on to the next. Now I just caught her out of her hole and she's walking very funny. One of her back legs seems to be curled under and the others aren't out normally lime a Ts should be.. looks like she's walking with a limp. They arent twisted or anything.. and she always has access to water, one side of her enclosure is always moist as well. Its like she's walking semi in death curl if that makes any sense. Any suggestions?

BelleAme

Can you post pictures of the tarantula and the enclosure? Do you have the old molt?
I mean it would be difficult she's in her hole lol the molt was already tossed it was perfectly fine. Im really just looking for ideas of what it could be and how I could help her.

Coradams

Is the problem only on one side?

If so, it sounds like there may be some of the molt still stuck to her legs. Or perhaps she didn't do her post molt yoga and her new exoskeleton hardened in a way that hampers full mobility. If her legs become two much of a problem she can safely amputate them and grow new legs in the next molt or two. (Yep, they can do that.) If she is having trouble getting around, I suggest leaving prekilled food near her burrow and make sure she can easily get to her water.

Other keepers on here may have more suggestions. Good luck and keep us posted.

BelleAme

Saw her again outside and it seems that now at least 4 of them are curled under and shes walking like that.. im aware they can amputate limbs i actually have around 40 or so Ts now. Ive just never seen one walk or move around like this before.

Latest posts