• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Webbing LP

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
Just noticed this. Haven't fed her since last Wednesday and this girl can eat. She turned down 2 super worms.

What's the deal with the ball of Web?
20170306_101859.jpg
20170306_101855.jpg

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
On top of this, one of my guys at work Fed her Friday and she didn't eat. So now I've got 3 super worms crawling in the enclosure. Should I take her out and dig them up?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Are the worms crawling around on top? Ive never seen them do anything but burrow and start pupating. I've honestly never seen any of them do anything but that. I've had supers bite me when handling them, but never any issue with them eating a molting t...they burrow. Immediately. I don't see them as a threat to anything but the smallest slings, which I cut them up for. The beetles however..eat EVERYTHING smaller or weaker than themselves. Tarantulas will not eat them either, too hard and unpalatable. Bigger spiders kill them and leave them uneaten, or get stressed and slap them away.

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
Found 3 worms lol. Put her in a small container and left a worm in it just to double check. She actually avoided it and started webbing within 5 minutes. So hopefully we have a molt soon!!!!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Are the worms crawling around on top? Ive never seen them do anything but burrow and start pupating. I've honestly never seen any of them do anything but that. I've had supers bite me when handling them, but never any issue with them eating a molting t...they burrow. Immediately. I don't see them as a threat to anything but the smallest slings, which I cut them up for. The beetles however..eat EVERYTHING smaller or weaker than themselves. Tarantulas will not eat them either, too hard and unpalatable. Bigger spiders kill them and leave them uneaten, or get stressed and slap them away.
same, but there are videos out there of worms "supposedly" eating slings during molt. I'm guessing it's from the slings being in the burrow to molt and worms digging down to them.

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
Still no molt and she hasn't made any more webbing or molt pad. Her butt is barer but it might be from kicking hairs. Could it be that she's turning down just worms? I'm tempted to buy a few crickets to find out. Would a picture be helpful in directing me?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Still no molt and she hasn't made any more webbing or molt pad. Her butt is barer but it might be from kicking hairs. Could it be that she's turning down just worms? I'm tempted to buy a few crickets to find out. Would a picture be helpful in directing me?
Couldnt hurt :) Could be a long pre molt, is her skin on her butt turning dark? Its normally flesh colored, if it turns dark at the bald patch, its premolt.

CrypticSpider

3 Year Member
Still no molt and she hasn't made any more webbing or molt pad.

You should have let her remain in her tank.

Her butt is barer but it might be from kicking hairs.

She is stressed, and also having to "reline" her new container with urts.

Could it be that she's turning down just worms? I'm tempted to buy a few crickets to find out.

Most Lp are voracious eaters and will greedily accept worms, along with just about anything you throw in there. Looking at her abdomen, she is very well-feed and if she is pre-molt, swollen as well. I would not offer more food for about 3 weeks (if she doesn't molt).

Would a picture be helpful in directing me?

Post a pic of her rump showing the bald spots and we'll see if she is pre-molt. :)

All in all... if you have removed all the worms, put her back into her home and let nature take it's course. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's in premolt, everything Cryptic said is correct. Spiders in premolt shouldn't be stressed out by removing them from the environment they created. Put her back, leave her alone and let her do w/e she wants:) removing a spider from its house, where it has lain web and urcticating hairs, just stresses the spider. That goes for all spiders. Rehousing is kind of a big deal..

Latest posts