• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Water evaporating in ceramic bowls?

Roo

3 Year Member
Well most of my T's have small kidney dishes for their water. However I've found water evaporates really quickly from these things, not sure why as it's not THAT hot in there.

Does anyone have any better options? I've found steel works fine but not so much for the smaller T's because I can't find bowls small enough.

eminart

3 Year Member
The water surface area is what makes it evaporate more quickly. Shallow, wide dishes will evaporate much more quickly that narrower, deeper dishes.

TabithasMom

3 Year Member
The seasons also play a part. It's winter here, so the heat is kicking in the house. This dries out the air, which means I need to refill dishes at a faster rate than, say, in the summer.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've found the small solo deli cups that you see them put ketchup in work pretty well for littler spiders. My big ones all have the large clay pet store ones or soap dishes. I have a few of those little ceramic kidney dishes and yeah, they evaporate fast, except for the really large ones.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All of my enclosures have a type of bottle cap in them. Gives me an excuse to buy different types of sodas to get the different colored caps ;) the tiny T's have a generic water bottle cap, and i have to fill those daily as they're shallow. All the others (except the avic) have a flavor of 1 litre pop bottle cap. None of my enclosures are large enough yet to need anything more than a Gatorade bottle cap, that's what the GBB and genic have. Luckily i have a few molts to go still for the genic before i have to upgrade him to a larger enclosure.

My son got frustrated on the Avic's enclosure and moved him to one of the herb leaf shaker bottles that KTBG sells for sling enclosures we got with the combo order with the albo and rosea. He forgot to put the water dish in the enclosure and i can't get it in there without destroying the setup now, so we've just been misting the side. Does she need a water dish? she's been eating well and drinking from the droplets on the side. My son was thrilled to be able to watch her do that Monday.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All of my enclosures have a type of bottle cap in them. Gives me an excuse to buy different types of sodas to get the different colored caps ;) the tiny T's have a generic water bottle cap, and i have to fill those daily as they're shallow. All the others (except the avic) have a flavor of 1 litre pop bottle cap. None of my enclosures are large enough yet to need anything more than a Gatorade bottle cap, that's what the GBB and genic have. Luckily i have a few molts to go still for the genic before i have to upgrade him to a larger enclosure.

My son got frustrated on the Avic's enclosure and moved him to one of the herb leaf shaker bottles that KTBG sells for sling enclosures we got with the combo order with the albo and rosea. He forgot to put the water dish in the enclosure and i can't get it in there without destroying the setup now, so we've just been misting the side. Does she need a water dish? she's been eating well and drinking from the droplets on the side. My son was thrilled to be able to watch her do that Monday.
Nope, as long as the avic is eating well and being misted occasionally she'll be fine until she grows into something bigger. I have one of my campbridgei set up the same way.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I believe you're talking about the porous ceramic dishes, like those placed under plant pots?

Those seem to soak up water, or make it disappear, but place enough water in them and the water stays for a while. You can actually see the material darken as it soaks water. I'm using those for my T. stirmi, and they definitely seem to lose water very easily. I don't know if the water is evaporating, or passing through the material slowly. I have to refill them every 3 days.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Funny as I use plastic bottle tops for smaller ones and they are usually better.

I'm gradually getting rid of ceramic/resin bowls and using bottle tops for the little one and coffee jar lids for the big ones.