• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wanting to understand why or how my healthy LP suddenly died.

tmr9107

I had a gorgeous aprox 1 year old juvenile LP who has suddenly died after being a ferocious eater and seemingly happy with no signs of stress. I’m most confused because when I found it to be dead the legs were not in death curl and their was no visible injuries. I left it for about 3 days in denial about it being dead. I’m asking if any keepers have found a T in this way.
Her enclosure was kept at a appropriate moisture level and she always had fresh water available. I will mention it seemed like he/she hadent molted in a long time. And was wandering the walls of the enclosure in the days before it’s death.
For any more experienced keepers, what are some of the reason otherwise healthy Ts suddenly pass away?

Attachments

• A587A4A0-96C2-45DB-8E30-4928D18027F1.jpeg
    A587A4A0-96C2-45DB-8E30-4928D18027F1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 6F45881C-4450-474D-82E7-5576083C0241.jpeg
    6F45881C-4450-474D-82E7-5576083C0241.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I'm so sorry to hear this :( I don't have any ideas I'm afraid but would like to know the same thing. It feels extra heartbreaking when a seemingly healthy T suddenly drops dead. I lost my Avicularia juvenile Layla not long ago in a similar way. I'd had her around 2 years and had big hopes for her getting to adulthood, her abdomen looked healthy even in the death curl :(

Ted 1968

I dont think you will ever know for sure. Is it possible a wild insect got in? (this could cause parasites) also some cleaners/air fresheners can be toxic. not saying this happened just wanted to put the info out there.

tmr9107

I'm so sorry to hear this :( I don't have any ideas I'm afraid but would like to know the same thing. It feels extra heartbreaking when a seemingly healthy T suddenly drops dead. I lost my Avicularia juvenile Layla not long ago in a similar way. I'd had her around 2 years and had big hopes for her getting to adulthood, her abdomen looked healthy even in the death curl :(
Thank you for sharing ur story, when I had researched sudden death for tarantulas I found lots about “sudden avuncularia death” as it is Aperantly a well known ocurance for those who keep that genus. Keep ur head and heart up, be proud of the life you provided for him/her. sometimes in life these things are out of our control. As keepers we always want to find any error in our husbandry and avoid making a mistake twice.

tmr9107

I dont think you will ever know for sure. Is it possible a wild insect got in? (this could cause parasites) also some cleaners/air fresheners can be toxic. not saying this happened just wanted to put the info out there.
I do have a sneaking suspicion it may have caught a parasite. No real reason just a gut feeling it was unwell in some way. Everything in the enclosure went into the garbage to be safe. Thank you for ur input. I appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

Latest posts