• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Vermiculite help

new2tarantulas

3 Year Member
ok so I need help. I have heard of people using strait vermiculite as substrate. Is this ok and if so can I use any horticultural vermiculite? thx

Therasoid

3 Year Member
In an arboreal enclosure, possibly yes, depending if the species is that moisture dependent, none come to mind. A water dish and occasionally misting will suffice.
Terrestrial species, on the other hand, need a more stable substrate to walk on or burrow in. Vermiculite is a moisture retention mineral used in enclosures such as Asian obligate burrowers like H. lividum. This is usually a mixture of topsoil, peat and vermiculite. Straight vermiculite doesn't pack well, even crushing to a powder, so even the opportunistic species can't create a burrow to their liking. In crushed form it may clog the book lungs and suffocate your tarantula. [emoji17]
I've also "heard" people doing this, but never seeing it done in person nor a posted picture.
One more thought, could (?) be used in a scorpion enclosure. I have limited knowledge on their proper care as I recently acquired my 1st species about 3 weeks ago. Others with more experience may help on this.
Hope the info helps you.[emoji4]

Latest posts