• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ventilation holes too big?

I want to rehouse my A.avicularia sling into the enclosure on the right does anyone think she is ok or too small to go on there? She seems to measure out big enough, bigger than the holes her carapace, but I need a second opinion please and ty

Attachments

• 20200201_080609.jpg
    20200201_080609.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 161

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I agree they look smaller than the prosoma so you should be fine. A tip for the future for slings is that you can pop thin ladies stockings/pantyhose over them. Will still allow ventilation as long as you don't let the material get bunched up over the holes.

CarRou

I had this problem, and my tiny sling managed to squeeze its head thru but couldn't get its bum out and was stuck.
It took using a tiny paint brush gently pushing alternatively at either side to get it back in. Luckly its fine now

Attachments

• 20200208_190435.jpg
    20200208_190435.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG-20200209-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20200209-WA0000.jpeg
    998.6 KB · Views: 67

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I had this problem, and my tiny sling managed to squeeze its head thru but couldn't get its bum out and was stuck.
It took using a tiny paint brush gently pushing alternatively at either side to get it back in. Luckly its fine now

Oh my gosh. Well done you! That reminds me of a dramatic thread on here a while back, which thankfully also had a happy ending. I'm fairly sure the member concerned (@InternetSwag ) won't mind me linking it. The efforts made to save this little sling were herculean and extremely creative.

CarRou

Oh my gosh. Well done you! That reminds me of a dramatic thread on here a while back, which thankfully also had a happy ending. I'm fairly sure the member concerned (@InternetSwag ) won't mind me linking it. The efforts made to save this little sling were herculean and extremely creative.

Yeah it happens to all of us unfortunately but at least we've all had happy endings. I was messaging phil in a right panic yesterday trying everything i could think of to free the little guy. Its strange though when i opened the tub before this it ran and hid ... now it just wanders over... bonding at its best lol

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I repurposed a t enclosure for tiny crickets and knew straightaway that the airholes would be too big. I try to pick out those little caterpillars but I always miss one or two, and didn't want anything escaping. So I hotglued pieces of - can't remember what you call it - but it's a mesh sheet that you use when ironing. Looks rough as hell (I'm very slap dash lol) but does the job and so far it's captured 1 cricket and 3 caterpillars, which is a pain as I have to free them and reglue lol

IMG_20200209_233204.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thankfully a happy ending. Well done and thanks for sharing. Some handy tips there for others who may be in a similar situation.

Omg I think I errored on the side of caution she can fit a leg out but no more, wow I am surprised to see your picture glad she got back in
I lost a tiny sling via holes I thought were small enough. I now make sure I know the holes are much smaller than the T.
How do you make sure? By measuring?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
troublemakerwithspiders said:
How do you make sure? By measuring?

I try make sure the holes are sufficently small to not allow more than a leg to get through. So nothing bigger than a pin hole for 1cm sling. Darning needle sized holes for something a little bigger.

Latest posts