• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trying to find out what my tarantula is

Traceheart

I got my first tarantula last year. Got it at a local pet shop that has connections to breeders but is new to selling them. Anyway I was told it was a Mexican red knee and did my research before I bought it. But then later i was told it was a flame knee. Neither time I was told nor was it labeled scientifically so I couldn't find out myself. When looking it up myself I was leaning toward the red knee but I couldn't tell if it was smithi or hamorii, or if I'm even right on either. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220829_215029137.jpg
    IMG_20220829_215029137.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20220829_214956514.jpg
    IMG_20220829_214956514.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 38

Traceheart

Thanks, just been bugging me that I couldn't label them correctly. When I looked at pics I couldn't tell the difference myself. May I ask how you tell the difference between auratum and the red knees?

Tarantulafeets

Thanks, just been bugging me that I couldn't label them correctly. When I looked at pics I couldn't tell the difference myself. May I ask how you tell the difference between auratum and the red knees?
Auratum has a more darker red coloration on the knees, smithi and hamorii are more orange. The pattern on the knee of auratum looks like lips with lipstick on, smithi and hamorii have it covering the whole knee area.