• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

To stick or not to stick...

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good day guys,

I thought of making a feeding schedule but the problem is I don't seem to stick with it. There are times when I feed almost daily because when I see the T out and about and is looking hungry, I feed.

However, not all of them seem interested with food and I only give to those that looks like looking for prey. I have not been disappointed though since the ones given food always eats.

And I don't have a T that has an overly large abdomen even through all this.

Do you guys have this issue as well?

micheldied

3 Year Member
I honestly never had a routine for feeding, despite having had many inverts at once. Like you said, they often won't eat when you choose to feed them, and they won't all be molting at the same time either. As long as you're keeping track of how healthy they look, you should be fine feeding slightly less or slightly more. Don't worry about it. If a spider wants to eat, it will. If it doesn't, it won't and you can just remove the food.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I honestly never had a routine for feeding, despite having had many inverts at once. Like you said, they often won't eat when you choose to feed them, and they won't all be molting at the same time either. As long as you're keeping track of how healthy they look, you should be fine feeding slightly less or slightly more. Don't worry about it. If a spider wants to eat, it will. If it doesn't, it won't and you can just remove the food.
Never had a routine either. Couldn't have said it any better.

Roo

3 Year Member
I have a schedule for the reptiles and snakes and I apply the same principle. I'll offer them food at the same times and if they don't eat then they don't eat. If they haven't eaten for a long while and haven't shed/shown signs of sickness I change the times to see if they will eat.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No schedule for me either. I wing it. Slings I feed more often than larger specimens, but its not at any set or scheduled interval.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well..most of mine are slings so I always offer, if they dont touch it in an hour or so, I clean it up.
my wolf spiders will eat daily, and do.
The G porteri stuffs its face with as much as it can eat about every third day.
My new Avic molted in shipping so nothing for it as yet. May try tomorrow as its fangs are nice and dark.
My rosea just molted as well so shes starving too poor baby.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Well..most of mine are slings so I always offer, if they dont touch it in an hour or so, I clean it up.
my wolf spiders will eat daily, and do.
The G porteri stuffs its face with as much as it can eat about every third day.
My new Avic molted in shipping so nothing for it as yet. May try tomorrow as its fangs are nice and dark.
My rosea just molted as well so shes starving too poor baby.

My Avic molted 2 weeks ago and then did not eat for over a week and now she is eating daily like a little piggy

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have been watching YouTube mainly on Ts and is intrigued by jon380's monthly feeding schedule, even for his slings. As @Roo 's statement, I am thinking that it may be better if I had a schedule for convenience actually like keeping track and monitoring purposes. Once a week would have been good but then again, there is the molting Ts to keep track to as well.

So, thanks guys. I guess having no routine is equally better and keeping records is a must. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have been watching YouTube mainly on Ts and is intrigued by jon380's monthly feeding schedule, even for his slings. As @Roo 's statement, I am thinking that it may be better if I had a schedule for convenience actually like keeping track and monitoring purposes. Once a week would have been good but then again, there is the molting Ts to keep track to as well.

So, thanks guys. I guess having no routine is equally better and keeping records is a must. :)
That's one of the things I don't care for about Jon's keeping habits..feeding once a month across the board..there's no individual attention, and too many times I've seen him move to the next spider (usually it's a Poeci, for some reason) and the spider has a tiny abdomen..not to be a critic, but I don't like it much, it's probably something that tends to happen when you have two jobs and 200 spiders..also his ventilation needs improvement, and you don't keep an adult Poeci in a 1 gallon jar...other than that, I like his videos, he has a lot of knowledge to share, and great passion for the hobby.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
That's one of the things I don't care for about Jon's keeping habits..feeding once a month across the board..there's no individual attention, and too many times I've seen him move to the next spider (usually it's a Poeci, for some reason) and the spider has a tiny abdomen..not to be a critic, but I don't like it much, it's probably something that tends to happen when you have two jobs and 200 spiders..also his ventilation needs improvement, and you don't keep an adult Poeci in a 1 gallon jar...other than that, I like his videos, he has a lot of knowledge to share, and great passion for the hobby.

I feel the same way- great info but after seeing him discover a couple T's that had passed on and no clue as to when or why I was convinced this was due to the amount of T's, lack of personal attention, and scarce feeding schedule. Also I have been shocked to see some adult T's with very little room to move around. anyways just my 2 cents

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Soon as my pc is up again going to take a look at these videos. My curiosity at work. Once a month seems a bit uncaring in my opinion. If you have so many you can't find the time to feed and house better then that it's time to get rid of a few.

Latest posts