• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tlitocatl Albipolosus eating

MissAlyssa

This is only second tarantula, so forgive my questions.

I got my t. Albipolosus yesterday. I didn’t get it from a specialized store (just Petco) and they said they fed it Saturday. However, I gave it 2 crickets yesterday which it ate and it also ate 2 hornworms today. Should I feed it more or leave it for now? Can it get over fed? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1190.jpeg
    IMG_1190.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 9

Lentulus

3 Year Member
They are opportunistic feeders. In the wild, weeks or even months can pass without food so often times they will instinctually kill/feed. The spiders will feed until they won’t. This is usually due to imminent molting or sexual maturity. Feeding often alone isn’t necessarily bad, but it can lead to injury or worse. If the abdomen becomes too swollen, a small fall or tumble can cause a rupture. Think of a water balloon filled to the absolute limits compared to one filled moderately. I’m on the side of a regular feeding schedule over feeding as often as they will accept food.

As Lentulus pointed out you need to keep on eye on your Ts abdomen. Ideally it shouldn't be much larger than carapace. Once my Ts abdomen gets a little bigger than the carapace l will back the feeding off!! I have a Chilibrachys Guangxiensis that has had a seriously large abdomen for going on a year. I thought for a bit she was in pre molt but goes back trying to eat again when I put water in her dish! She hardly gets fed due to her abdomen being seriously large. But no, food wise your T should be good for awhile.

Latest posts