• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tliltocatl albopilosus Care Advice Request

LexLokiJoker

My sub adult T MALE (JOKER LOKI MOFFAT) CURLY HAIR HONDURAS WILD TYPE (Tliltocatl albopilosus) HE has 90% humidity, 20c temperature in his enclosure. i know this species requires no higher than 75-80% humidity. I HAVE REMOVED HIS WATER BOWL FOR TODAY WHILE I WAIT AND SEE IF EXCESS FOG/MIST LEAVES THE TANK. He still remains in his tank, has the occasional climb on the walls and then goes down near the ventilation openings and just sits there squeezed against the vents DURING THE DAY. AT NIGHT HE STAYS NEAR HIS BURROW ENTRANCE. I DO NOT OWN A HEAT MAT, HUMIDIFIER, DEHUMIDIFIER. HE HAS A WELL VENTILATED TANK PERFECT SIZE FOR HIM AND YET THE HUMIDITY REMAINS TOO HIGH. NEED PRACTICAL WAYS TO LOWER IT FAST. HES IN PRE MOLT AND DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO CLEAN HIS TANK IN THIS PHASE. HELP.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If he's in premoult then you need to leave his water bowl in his tank. I'm guessing his substrate is damp which is causing the high humidity so you need to leave it to dry out but he really does need his water bowl at all times especially if he's moulting.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Buy a bag of dry coco fiber or clean top soil and re do your substrate. You can place him in a deli container over night without substrate and he'll be fine as long as you have a couple air holes in it.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I keep my female on dry substate with only 40% humidity in my spider room @ 72 degrees.
20230114_180247.jpg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Another option to lower the humidity, is to remove some of his substrate, place it on a baking tray & gently dry it out in an oven. The humidity will lower as the substrate dries out. And dry upper levels, more moist lower levels of substrate are good for T albopilosus. As in the wild T albopilosus are found in rainforests & close to rivers & they do like to burrow, so moist, not wet, substrate is normal for them. But yes, they do thrive in dry conditions, but it is not essential, which is why their non specific (tolerant) requirements over both temperature & humidity make them such good beginner tarantulas.