• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thoughts on building a multi-enclosure enclosure. Advice needed

Dave S

3 Year Member
HI all!!

Ok here's the idea.
I'm looking at a book shelf with adjustable shelves as the main "enclosure" with the individual shelves designed
for the needs of the different T's I get.
Ie: top shelf set to 78 85 deg@ 80 % humidity to accommodate my pink toe and 1 to 2 other enclosures with T's having the same habitat needs.

Other shelves the same as the needs of any other T's I acquire.

For the individual shelves i'm thinking drilled plexi glass double doors.

vent holes on the upper sides for air flow. ( if needed a computer fan to keep flow)

For lighting im thinking low voltage type under cabinet lights ( defused) ( have to do a bit more research on that)
That's the easy part

As for the humidity I'm thinking of using cigar humidor equipment ( have to research that idea) Need to make sure the humidor humidifiers wont give off any fumes or anything to harm the T's)

Has anyone tried this? Im open to any suggestions you may have to improve this idea.
once I get the idea on paper Ill add it to this post.

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
Personally I would go with the adjustable bookshelf but use glass enclosures of various sizes on the shelves. The shelves (if they are wood or particle board) are going to cause more trouble than they are worth. Wood will soak up moisture and be difficult to clean. They also might pose a mold problem. Particle board has some pretty nasty stuff in it that I wouldn't want to expose the T's to directly. Just my opinion.

I have a bookshelf that holds my enclosures and I plan on building plexi doors on it to keep the temp stable during the winter. Sort of a heat cabinet.

Dave S

3 Year Member
Looking back at my description I wasn't as clear as I thought ( been working all sorts of crazy shifts) brain fail lol.
That's what I planning Ghost was to dedicate a shelf for the T's that require similar needs but using separate enclosures on those shelves. That way say my pink toe and one or two other enclosures can sit on the same shelf with a stable temp and humidity, and the next one my GBB and who knows as long as the temp and humidity of what I get next is in the area of the GBB and so on.
I agree the wood or especially fake wood will pose nothing but head aches and possible danger to the little hairy ones.
I sounds like we are thinking along the same lines I just didn't give a good description lol

Im also considering using a computer fan to keep air flow that way I can cut down on the chance of mold or possible over heating the different shelves ( not 100% sold on the idea) need to look into that a bit more too.
Planning stages are fun.
Thanks for the advice
It can only make the final result that much better

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
Where would this fan go? on the actual enclosure? that would cause stress for the T I would imagine. Perhaps tubing connecting each enclosure like central air? just pondering.

Dave S

3 Year Member
good thought. I'm still working through the plan actually.
I was thinking the fan should be placed on a shelf that has no enclosures on it or even a chase type design most likely at the very top.
I'm planning as long as it looks to be functional to use a hole saw on the individual shelves one hole each shelf alternating sides, and screen over the holes incase of an escape, with a larger hole at the bottom screened as well to act as the intake.
Think of the main enclosure as a modifies book shelf at least that's the way I picture it in my head.
Anyway I'm still in the design phase of the idea so any input is be great.
Thanks

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
A continuous breeze may also stress them I guess only way to know for sure is to give it a go. I am very curious to see what you come up with for sure. Oh just had a though if one enclosure gets mites or what not would that push it along to everyone in the loop?

Dave S

3 Year Member
sorry not at this time work has been bat crap nuts.
plus with the input I've received I need to rethink some of the idea. I haven't given up, it just got thrown to the back burner for right now
thanks for checking