• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

These damn stirmi

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
My 8"+ female T stirmi is, I assume, very close to molting. She never molted in my care but I've only had her since October. Her rear is completely bald, huge but not dark. She hasn't come out of her hide, or eaten in 2 weeks. She normally eats like a monster. Every couple days. She webbed up the opening of her hide and rarely moves. Cmon girl, molt already. This species is the only one that constantly worries me, and don't know much about this size T molting.
I can't wait to get it over with and see her new size and appearance

TabithasMom

3 Year Member
They most certainly do like to keep you worrying. My subfusca has been in premolt forever, it seems, and I obsessively peek in to see her progress. Patience is the #1 quality to have with these critters. :rolleyes:

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I'm just worried about this species because of the last stirmi(3" juvi) I have and it's pre molt situation. It actually started leaking fluid around the bottom of its abdomen, which I later found out to be normal. I just am always worried about the mites and stuff with this "more moist" species...altho I don't keep it like a swamp in there. Once the molt is done, I'll be perfectly at ease with the molt process of ALL my T's, since I will have seen each and every one go thru it in my care.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't know if its because they've had so much practice or what, but large adult spiders seem to have less trouble..you see way less posts about them having issues, its mostly slings and juvies who seem to have trouble. None of my adults ever have any problems. It being a stirmi changes things, but don't sweat it too much, she'll be fine.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I get worried about all my Ts when they molt, in the 8 to 9 years I've had them and over two hundred of Scolopendra. I've never actually lost a T to a molt problem, but I have lost pedes before.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's one thing about a T that hides itself away like my OBT, I only know about a moult when she throws her old exo out during a cleaning session so I don't have the worries of premoult etc. :).