• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Terestrial vs Arboreal Enclosure sizes.

JayManges

I get the fact that arboreal species need height to climb. I also know that some forum users are quick to pounce on anyone with snark and ridicule for using an arboreal enclosure that is not taller than it is wide. However, what is the fundamental difference between an enclosure that is 8x8x12 and one that is 12x12x12? Twelve inches of height is still twelve inches right? Does the tarantula really care if its enclosure is taller than it is wide or does it only concern itself with having enough space to climb? I ask this because I am considering going with the Exo-Terra 12x12x12 for a 3-3,1/2" OW arboreal. To me, having the extra room to work and having a double door is a plus in terms of safety and security when dealing with an OW. Besides, the 12x12x12 enclosure is only a few bucks more than the politically correct one. I don't have the shelf space to go with the 12x12x18 but those are nice. Am I missing something in being tempted to go against the conventional wisdom that an arboreal enclosure MUST be taller than it is wide?

Last edited:

Latest posts