• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temperature tolerant T. for display

reptyls

3 Year Member
I am looking for a T. to display on my desk at work. The problem is my office does sometimes get warm, up to 85° F. for short periods. Any thoughts on a species that would handle that and be a good display?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any of the T's should be okay with those temps i'd think.

Ever since @SasyStace mentioned an office spider i've been looking into it more and more ;) i need to bring my thermometer in and leave it over night to record the temp variations. that's the only thing holding me back now is i don't know what the overnight temp in the building drops down to, and i'd rather not have to haul one back and forth every day.

In the summer it should be fine, but we're still having below freezing night temps here for a few more weeks. At least i hope it's just a few, i'm sick of winter.

reptyls

3 Year Member
I have the opposite problem, We are running a walk in oven 15' from my office so it gets pretty warm at times. I do have A/C in here, but I don't run it all the time. The temp is supposed to reach 85° here today so the A/C is on now!.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't rule out the big boys, and my personal recommendation, if your comfortable with demon spiders, is a Phormictopus. My female is always on top of her cork, not under it, and moves about her enclosure like she owns the place. They come in many colors :D

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Most tarantulas come from warmer climates so warmer Temperature Shouldn't be an issue. for example. the A. Chalcodes lives in areas that get well over 100 Degrees :) in the peak heat of the summer.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
I am looking for a T. to display on my desk at work. The problem is my office does sometimes get warm, up to 85° F. for short periods. Any thoughts on a species that would handle that and be a good display?
Once it's set up I'd love to see a photo! My co-workers do not like most living things. I have to remove all spiders and anoles from our office or they will be killed.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
People are ignorant that way. On a bad day it makes me want to slap someone..
I get my laughs from them. A River Otter ran by one day and they thought it was a beaver! Then they preceded to tell me that otters don't live in Florida because the alligators would eat them. I've learned to ignore them when it comes to their beliefs.

reptyls

3 Year Member
MiaWolf42 said:
My co-workers do not like most living things. I have to remove all spiders and anoles from our office or they will be killed.
I own my business, and my employees are all animal lovers so they put up with all my crazy ideas.

reptyls

3 Year Member
MassExodus said:
Don't rule out the big boys, and my personal recommendation, if your comfortable with demon spiders, is a Phormictopus. My female is always on top of her cork, not under it, and moves about her enclosure like she owns the place. They come in many colors :D
Now you have me wanting P. cancerides also. My wallet can only take so much of this (Unless I can write them off as a business expense...security maybe?)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I get my laughs from them. A River Otter ran by one day and they thought it was a beaver! Then they preceded to tell me that otters don't live in Florida because the alligators would eat them. I've learned to ignore them when it comes to their beliefs.
Sounds like the tourist and hunters from the southern states we get up here. Watched one guy drive by my grandpa's place when i was young all happy with his cow moose he bagged. Then my grandpa had to call his neighbor and give him the bad news of losing one of his horses... Wish i was a fly on the wall when that guy got the fish and game checkpoint ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Now you have me wanting P. cancerides also. My wallet can only take so much of this (Unless I can write them off as a business expense...security maybe?)
If you get a baby, cancerides are pretty cheap..it's the newer spiders like the platus and the sp blue, green, purple etc. that start to get more expensive. Still not too bad though, and they're worth it :) I keep hearing the cancerides gets the largest, can't confirm that yet though. I wouldn't feel unarmed with a cancerides in my holster...throw it at someones face and I'm sure they'll become very busy doing other things..:)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
the P. sp Purple is on my list, but i haven't found one for sale yet. haven't looked very hard though, going to be a month or 3 before i can buy anything again.

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Sounds like the tourist and hunters from the southern states we get up here. Watched one guy drive by my grandpa's place when i was young all happy with his cow moose he bagged. Then my grandpa had to call his neighbor and give him the bad news of losing one of his horses... Wish i was a fly on the wall when that guy got the fish and game checkpoint ;)
That is awful!

Latest posts