• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Temp and humidity

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A lot of pet stores have them or Amazon. I like the ones that record high low temps and if it does the same for humidity that is fine, but I have mostly arid terrestrials and I am not concerned so much with humidity. I have some that have sensors on cords and some with out the cords. I am not at home so can't post pictures or name names.

SullivanC

Just like @DustyD said they can be found pretty easily but if I were you the only species I would even bother getting that device is for theraphosa or the asian species that requires alot of humidity. :) Its always good to have those around though in case if you plan to get species that require alot of humidity :)

Tn tarantula

A lot of pet stores have them or Amazon. I like the ones that record high low temps and if it does the same for humidity that is fine, but I have mostly arid terrestrials and I am not concerned so much with humidity. I have some that have sensors on cords and some with out the cords. I am not at home so can't post pictures or name names.
I got some violet tree spiders and a Sabah so blue which they require a good amount of humidity

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I keep all of the above and use no gauges. Unless you're using lab grade equipment, none are accurate. It comes with experience and is a fine line between moist and mold. There seems to be an aging process too. Along with that, a healthy colony of springtails is extremely beneficial, along with a good substrate mix. Fyi - vermiculite and peat are good at retaining moisture along with being a bacterial/mold deterrent.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Forget humidity. And start thinking of it as something which is achieved by the correct husbandry. Get the environment correct & humidity will follow. As it is not something that you can fake successfully.
Also, forget those meters. They are inaccurate. I had a number of them sitting around here. As I stopped using them in enclosures. So I put them togther & the difference I saw in both temperature & humidity readings, despite them all sitting millimetres from each other was ridiculous.

https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/humidity.28808/