• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Switching two A. avic enclosures?

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I have two A. avics and it's time for a house cleaning. They're each living very comfortably in a couple of Exo Terras. One is 8x8x12 and the other is 8x12x12. The spider in the smaller Exo is much more active than the one in the larger one (that figures). Here's my question: Would it be OK to switch them out or would rehousing be a stress on them? I'd like to see the more active T in the larger Exo but not at the expense of possibly messing with them emotionally (if that's even a concern). Any thoughts? Thanx.
:T:

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Yeah, they're large enuf and this won't be their first house cleaning. I do that about every six months or so, including new substrate. My only concern was that changing their environment too much (other than just cleaning) may have a negative impact.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
how large are the spiders? There could be a number of reasons for being more active: For example
1. The more active T is nearer to a source of warmth
2. The less active T may be in premoult
3. The more active T may actually be a mature male looking for love....hence the question about size.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
how large are the spiders? There could be a number of reasons for being more active: For example
1. The more active T is nearer to a source of warmth
2. The less active T may be in premoult
3. The more active T may actually be a mature male looking for love....hence the question about size.

The more active T is a female (not sure about the other one) and their enclosures are next to each other so the heat is consistent I've had them both about two years and it's been this way the whole time. They both seem to molt and eat just fine, it's just that one doesn't want to move around a lot. I guess it's not a big deal.

Latest posts