• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Superglued leg rupture.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My B albiceps molted, at last night. We have had it for about 8 months & this was it's first molt with us & it looks gorgeous in its new coat. Plus we managed to get a sex it is a female. So all was good. Then we noticed a blob of liquid on, or very close to, a leg joint, which dropped off & was replaced with another droplet of liquid. So I quickly found some superglue & attempted to seal her up.

The leakage of body fluid has stopped & today she seems to be moving freely. And I know there are no guarantees, but has anyone else had a similar situation & what are the expectations?

I do wonder if she has an issue, as about 2 weeks ago, she shed a leg for no apparent reason.

So not looking for absolute certainties, but any advice based on experience, would be gratefully received.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My B albiceps molted, at last night. We have had it for about 8 months & this was it's first molt with us & it looks gorgeous in its new coat. Plus we managed to get a sex it is a female. So all was good. Then we noticed a blob of liquid on, or very close to, a leg joint, which dropped off & was replaced with another droplet of liquid. So I quickly found some superglue & attempted to seal her up.

The leakage of body fluid has stopped & today she seems to be moving freely. And I know there are no guarantees, but has anyone else had a similar situation & what are the expectations?

I do wonder if she has an issue, as about 2 weeks ago, she shed a leg for no apparent reason.

So not looking for absolute certainties, but any advice based on experience, would be gratefully received.
Super glue can be brutal and sometimes if the spider reacts to the glue hitting the area by trying to flick it off, you then potentially run the risk of the leg sticking to the area you have just repaired :(

Sometimes after moults, there are some fluid leaks as things harden up. How long after moulting are we talking here as if only hours/days, this is part of the normal moulting activity.

I have repaired ruptures and leaks by using cornflour with much better success than super glue. This includes a MM G rosea that bolted off a desk during pairing, who split his abdomen. I managed to quickly het cornflour on him and he has had at least 4 other pairings since then and shows no signs of any issues and is still like lightning.

Sounds as though your intervention has worked but dont be surprised if she casts that leg also. As a general rule though, try cornflour first before the more extreme super glue method.

Well done for your intervention and quick thinking :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks Phil, that is exactly the sort of information/ feedback, that I was looking for.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We found the molt in the enclosure & the T was on it's feet. I normally check the T's daily, so probably molted within the past 24 hours.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We found the molt in the enclosure & the T was on it's feet. I normally check the T's daily, so probably molted within the past 24 hours.
There are a number of fluids that are excreted in order to moult and then help the spider harden during the initial moulting process. Unless you could see a regular and heavy flow of liquid it was probably just part of the moulting process rather than an injury.

You have said moving around freely so hopefully all will he fine :)

Latest posts