• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate

est4life

3 Year Member
hey guys. What are your suggestions on substrate? I read that there are a few option out there and want to know what you guys suggest and don't suggest. Thanks

est4life

3 Year Member
We have 6 arriving in the next week or so they are as follow
Metalic pink toe
Mexican red rump
Mexican red knee
Starburst
Small Colombian pumpkin patch
Hunduran curly hair

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow! You don't mess around do you? ;). Great T's to start out with. Assuming they are mostly slings. I generally use a mix of 2/3 Eco Earth and 1/3 Vermiculite. Vermiculite is a little tough to come by sometimes. Helps with draining water and prevents mold. However, with the desert species (Mexicans) you probably won't need it as you won't be keeping the soil moist. The rest will require a bit more humidity so I would recommend the vermiculite mix if you can. Best way to manage is it to pre-mix the soil with the vermiculite. Remember to moisten it as you lay it out in the enclosures. Allow for drying time based on the individual humidity requirements of your species. This compacts the soil and will assist with your burrowers.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
for low hummidty Ts i would use pro rep coco fiber, but for higher hummidty i would use pro rep spider life its kind of a peat with Vermiculite mixed in
& it really holds hummidty well.

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Not sure if there's something about T's that would cause substrate to mold more quickly, but I use 100% eco-earth for other tropical animals and have never seen mold in any of my enclosures. Used to think maybe it was spot cleaning that kept it mold free, but my millipede enclosures (which I didn't spot clean) never had mold either.
Just make sure you remove any bits of uneaten food. That'll cause stuff to start growing in a wet enclosure.

Latest posts