• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spider proof gloves?

CJSM935

So I personally do not own any spiders but I do study them and am interested in their biology. But that's besides the point, I do however have a chronic fear of being bitten. I would never intentionally pick one up unless its docile. I've held a few orb weavers and docile tarantula. But for example I plan to travel alot and I was up late one night and wondered with me being so naturally oblivious if I were to be bitten by a huge spider, maybe even a Brazilian wandering spider. Are there any gloves that would 100% protect from a bite? Just incase. As I mentioned I do plan to travel and I'm the kinda person to mindlessly rest their hand on a wild jungle tree without thinking.

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
gloves.jpg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some snake handlers use kevlar anti-pierce gloves, but that is an overkill for arachnids. The thing with arachnids is, they can be incredibly fast & we do not hold them, but instead allow them to walk on us, so although the hand is the most logical place to be bitten, it's not the only place if an arachnid panics & runs.

A leather glove would prevent an arachnid bite. But what is the point of handling if you have no contact with the arachnid? Looking at an arachnid on a plant or wall is no different to looking at it on a glove, in fact, it's un-natural on the glove & natural on a wall or plant etc & thus the better sight.