• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

SOS MITES ALL OVER ENCLOSURES AND OUTSIDE

DinoDavid

I have a big problem, I just realized that there are TONS of mites all around, my brother forgot to take the corpses out of the enclosures and now they are also running on the closet where I have the terrariums, any idea of what to do without damaging my tarantulas? Its like a mite plague

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Are they fruit flies? If so simply clean out the old food & it will slowly clear.

If they are fruit flies, they will do no damage, just be a nuisance. Fly paper would also help, very slightly, with the immediate problem in the room & without using chemicals.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Springtails? If so they are really good for your enclosure, they are an essential part of a clean up crew, as they eat mold & all you need to do to lower their numbers is remove the food source & let the substrate dry.

I add some dried yeast to my wetter enclosures to keep my springtails alive & thriving. And I keep a tub of well fed springtails that I can add a spoonful of, to any enclosure that needs it, including drier enclosures where they will not survive long, but still clear up.

https://www.microgreening.com.au/blog/all-about-springtails-a-comprehensive-guide

DinoDavid

Springtails? If so they are really good for your enclosure, they are an essential part of a clean up crew, as they eat mold & all you need to do to lower their numbers is remove the food source & let the substrate dry.

I add some dried yeast to my wetter enclosures to keep my springtails alive & thriving. And I keep a tub of well fed springtails that I can add a spoonful of, to any enclosure that needs it, including drier enclosures where they will not survive long, but still clear up.

https://www.microgreening.com.au/blog/all-about-springtails-a-comprehensive-guide
Wish they were :(, but they are not, they are literally white dots, as more they eat they become bigger dots, not like springtails that are kinda like a stick, how did you get springtails? I’ve been looking for them to buy but the only option it’s a very expensive store… does someone here sell springtails? And ship to mexico?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was given a small tub of springtail substrate by a friend. I put that into a larger tub with more substrate, old leaves etc & grew them on & then placed them a spoon full at a time into the enclosures I wanted them in. Plus, I have passed tubs onto friends & given them away via a local group.

Have a look on ebay, they have things like springtails on ebay in the UK. So it's probably worth a look your way too.

Hagraven

^ This is really helpful information about mites and how to deal with them. Best of luck

TwinkleToes19

Green pea flour will kill them if you sprinkle it in. I have it on hand for my mealworms since I never know if my wheat bran will come with those little guys.

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member
I have a big problem, I just realized that there are TONS of mites all around, my brother forgot to take the corpses out of the enclosures and now they are also running on the closet where I have the terrariums, any idea of what to do without damaging my tarantulas? Its like a mite plague

Visit Mighty Mites. I wrote that webpage precisely for you!

And while you're at it, go to your friendly public library and check out the last edition of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide (TKG3). Read the passage entitled "A Little Philosophy" on pages 126 and 127. Then thumb your way to the middle of the book and read and heed the section entitled "Acari: Mites" on pages 222 through 228.

After you finally win the war with the mites, you might seriously consider reading the remainder of that book and my entire Spiders, Calgary webpage.

There are a few things you should know in advance, however::
1) The proper edition of TKG is the one with a photo of a Mexican redleg tarantula (Brachypelma smithi or hamorii, the exact species is unclear) against a white background on the cover. It is not the earlier edition with a photo of Aphonopelma moderatum (Rio Grande Gold tarantula) with a greenish background. If my description here is unclear, visit HERE to see actual, labelled photos of them.

2) TKG3 is 376 pages of tarantula drivel, and attempting to read it cover to cover in one sitting has been known to cause brain damage. After you've read and followed the advice recommended above, set it aside for a day or two. Then merely thumb through it, looking at the photos and reading the paragraphs that attract your attention, Then return it to the library so others can use it. You are, however, quite welcome to check it out again so you can gain an even deeper insight into these amazing creatures.

3) Now that you've experienced this plague of mites, your home is infested with them, and will probably remain so for a long time. It is doubtful if even a full scale fumigation would completely eradicate them. WHILE THE MITES WILL ALMOST SURELY NOT POSE ANY SERIOUS HAZARD TO YOU, YOUR FAMILY, OR YOU OTHER PETS, they will remain as a potential threat to any arachnids, including scorpions, vinegaroons, tailless whipscorpions, etc., and any insects that you may be keeping to feed these creatures. DO NOT put any of these back into the same closet where you have been keeping them! Move all such cages to some other part of the house for at least a full year! Even then, you (and your brother!) need to clean up your tarantula keeping act! You've been warned. (And sorry, no, I'm really not that much of an ogre!)

4) Lastly, TKG3 is no longer in print, and is no longer being sold in pet shops and bookstores. So my pushing it here may not be as blatant a sin as it seems because I'm no longer receiving any royalties from its sale. However, used copies show up on the shelves of neighborhood used bookstores and those online, from time to time, and even on eBay! But currently, they're selling for about twice the previous retail price! I am told that eBook versions may be available from Amazon and Barnes and Noble, however.

Best of luck. May all the holes in your path hold large, fuzzy spiders! (Sans mites!)

Stan Schultz

3 Year Member

Latest posts