• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So I wanted a good gentle beginner T....G. Pulchrepis(I have one), E. Campestratus(Don't Have), Homoeomma Sp. Red(Don't Have)....

ryanm7277

Originally I had wanted to get a Eupalaestrus Campestratus(pink zebra beauty) and then I discovered homoeomma sp. "red"(Chilean Flame Rump) and love the temperament they seem to have. Their inquisitive nature and they seem like the theoretic best beginner species minus the years they take to grow out, rarity and price tag of course. Having said that isn't a pink zebra beauty pretty similar to a G. Pulchripes? Temperament wise from all the videos I have watched the E. Campestratus and G. Pulchripes seem pretty similar granted they are different species and the coloration is a little different, could someone who has owned all three chime in?

I already have a G. Pulchripes and hope she is female like seller claimed, so while I still want a E. Campestratus at some point it just seems for now I should wait a bit and grow out the G. Pulchripes see how I like/love the little guy then buy a E. Campestratus. Seems like I should wait for a Chilean Flame Rump to become available as I don't have anything in my current, new collection that is similar or any dwarf species for that matter and before going into the quick and bad temperament dwarfs should start with the chillest dwarf there is? What do you guys think?

Thanks for any and all advice and if you want to sell me a full grown female chilean flame rump let me know!!!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
E. campestratus are smaller than G. pulchripes when they mature. Temperaments vary. In my experience, E. campestratus are not as calm as some may think. Through talking to others and my own experience I have found them to be rather defensive. You’re more likely to catch the G. pulchripes out in the open more often than the other. E. campestratus will burrow extensively and very rarely come out.

If you want a smaller species with a temperament that is “supposedly” mild. You should consider looking at species such as Aphonopelma madera and others in the same locale.

The Homoeomma Sp. you are referring to is going to be extremely difficult to find, if females were available, they would probably be over $500.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Have a look at Heterothele villosella and Kochiana brunnipes, both pretty easy to rear from slings and not aggressive. Both are dwarves, just 2" dls.

ryanm7277

Fast as heck though, mine can teleport in a blink of an eye. Old world as well.
That’s what I was thinking as even though some people say old worlds are ok for beginners I don’t really think a miniature baboon teleporting is inquisitive and handelable(not that I’m gonna pet it or anything but still)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fast as heck though, mine can teleport in a blink of an eye. Old world as well.
That’s what I was thinking as even though some people say old worlds are ok for beginners I don’t really think a miniature baboon teleporting is inquisitive and handelable(not that I’m gonna pet it or anything but still)

I was speaking from my own experience of them, maybe I have been lucky with the ones I have kept but they have never given me any problems in fact my first one was happy to sit in the open even when I opened its container. The one I currently have will just dive for cover when disturbed.

fallonzoey

How about a T Seladonia as a dwarf t? There are some slings available right now. I just got one & love it! A Chalcodes is very chill & beautiful. Most aphonopelma are chill. I have been looking for an E. Campestratus myself recently but can't find any for sale.

SullivanC

I am sure this wasnt the answer you were expecting to see but avicularia avicularia temperament are very nice too, there are some individuals here and there that might be abit defensive but for the most part they are pretty calm and its a species alot of people have no trouble handling but I have to remind you that they are arboreals

Ah! You have the same wish list that I do. I've very rarely seen either, and when I have the price has been to high for me at the time. I do highly recommend an A. chalcodes or a G. pulchra. The ones I have are chill and out all the time. Very beautiful. But hey! If you know what you want, save up and keep on the lookout. They are available occasionally.

mandylydena

My first T was an E. campestratus and I love the little thing. I’m still new to the hobby, but mine is a little potato. It’s always out, comes to the front of the enclosure in the morning, likes to climb and has been phenomenally good when I’ve moved them to a new enclosure. Very slow growing, but great eaters. I just got an A. avicularia who is much more jumpy than my Pink Zebra Beauty, but pretty calm if I don’t upset them.

Attachments

• 5E714E5C-A4BB-44BE-877E-64534E8F97D5.jpeg
    5E714E5C-A4BB-44BE-877E-64534E8F97D5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12

New2T’s

3 Year Member
I have a H. Chilense and I absolutely love her. So calm and inquisitive. Very hard to find. My T guy bought someone’s collection and they had a Chilense. He said his first thought was me. So, that’s how I acquired mine. Chilense was at the very top of my list.

Are you just wanting dwarves or is anything known to be calm in nature ok?? Just bc a species is known for being calm doesn’t mean the one you get will be the same way. Each T is different.

ryanm7277

I have a H. Chilense and I absolutely love her. So calm and inquisitive. Very hard to find. My T guy bought someone’s collection and they had a Chilense. He said his first thought was me. So, that’s how I acquired mine. Chilense was at the very top of my list.

Are you just wanting dwarves or is anything known to be calm in nature ok?? Just bc a species is known for being calm doesn’t mean the one you get will be the same way. Each T is different.
I'll take any and all suggestions