• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Smithi or not a smithi?

syzygy

3 Year Member
After her last molt my "B smithi" started showing some color and I began to suspect i was actually sold a B emilia. Now she has molted again and I am even more convinced, but I wanted to post a photo and get input from the experts here. She has the triangular dark section on the carapace and the leg joint showing color appears to be the tibia instead of the patella.

I got her a year ago as a 1/4" sling.

bsmithi.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
still to slingish to be definite on smithi or emilia but i'm going with emilia also from the carapace, and the legs don't look right for a smithi. My B. smithi sling is still barely 1/2" so it will be interesting to see how it colors at this size compared to this one.

syzygy

3 Year Member
I have to admit that I was hoping i was wrong.

I'm sure I referenced this in another post, but this T was supposed to be a gift for my dad. He had a B smithi when I was a kid (35 years ago) and that was largely what spurred my interest in them. My kids have enjoyed learning from my (and now our) T's and I thought it would be cool to sort of close the loop and get him another B smithi. He's not much for slings so I've been raising her for the last year. Looks like I may have to start over. On the bright side its the best excuse I've ever had to get another T.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have to admit that I was hoping i was wrong.

I'm sure I referenced this in another post, but this T was supposed to be a gift for my dad. He had a B smithi when I was a kid (35 years ago) and that was largely what spurred my interest in them. My kids have enjoyed learning from my (and now our) T's and I thought it would be cool to sort of close the loop and get him another B smithi. He's not much for slings so I've been raising her for the last year. Looks like I may have to start over. On the bright side its the best excuse I've ever had to get another T.
you can get juvie smithi's for fairly cheap now. 1.25" unsexed for $75 is the average price i'm seeing online for the US. Should be starting to show their colors at that size.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Looks indeed like B emilia at that size, but I'd be cautious: Brachypelma smithi spiderlings look a lot like that too (even the triangular dark marking on the prosoma)... If you want to be extra sure, wait maybe for one more molt or two. Then you won't have doubts anymore.

But if it were a B emilia, think about it: they are fantastic looking, with red almost pink legs and that carapace look... Gorgeous! You can't be wrong with either smithi or emilia.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks indeed like B emilia at that size, but I'd be cautious: Brachypelma smithi spiderlings look a lot like that too (even the triangular dark marking on the prosoma)... If you want to be extra sure, wait maybe for one more molt or two. Then you won't have doubts anymore.

But if it were a B emilia, think about it: they are fantastic looking, with red almost pink legs and that carapace look... Gorgeous! You can't be wrong with either smithi or emilia.
Totally agree! i have both :D but if he's wanting a smithi to give his father, if it was me i'd order one of the unsexed juvies, sexed females are spendy.

syzygy

3 Year Member
Yes, cheapest confirmed female I can find is $125. I've a local place that typically has very good stock on the Brachy's. If after another molt or two I'm still convinced this is an emilia I might see if they have a female smithi that I can trade for.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, cheapest confirmed female I can find is $125. I've a local place that typically has very good stock on the Brachy's. If after another molt or two I'm still convinced this is an emilia I might see if they have a female smithi that I can trade for.
I remember your post, I thought it was pretty cool. Save your money and buy the female. Its the only way to be sure :) Just my two cents. Dads are worth it.

NatashaG

3 Year Member
I bought a B.Smithi juvenile in the UK for £25 (unsure what that equates to in $). He is a little bit bigger than this, but his colours are definitely in and his legs look nothing like this one :(

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think B. emilia too. The smithi's legs are not like that even as slings as observed in my own collection of slings. :)

Latest posts